2 days in Flamingo and stayed on housboat

The wife and I had a great weekend in Flamingo. Started off nice and early Friday morning at 4:00 a.m.  We pulled into the gas station and saw Ridge Murphy there so that was pretty cool.  We proceeded into the park and launched the boat to a overcast day and a very slight drizzle.  We made our way up Joe to the outside and started working the shore.  Lots and lots of mullet around.  Tarpon were everywhere but unless you had a mullet, they were not interested.  As I was working the falling tide in some creek mouths, I caught one undersized red.  Back it went to see another day.  There was not a breath of air and the bugs found us.  Fun Fun! lol  I decided to move and on my way back, I saw one of those park boundry markers and since I had never been out there and it was flat, lets go check it out.  That's when I saw the crab trap bouys and thought....hey....lets check for triple tail.  Sure enough ther were there.  I had never caught a tripletail so it was super neat to me.  I caught a bunch as well, a good 6-8 of them but only one keeper. The rest were 17 inch and 16 inch fish.  The one I kepted was 19 inches.  Oh......I could have killed myself.  I spooked a really big one so I could have had 2 but oh well.  The day was good as we had dinner for the two of us.

257725656_10225765316857202_2129309993833487365_n.thumb.jpg.c3a86bc4b01a2938a527b5db51ca8a57.jpg

On the first day, I was watching my watch since we still needed to check into the houseboat so we headed back to the marina about 1:00 p.m.  We checked in and it was awesome.  A/c was cold, bed was comfortable and the grill on the back was perfect.  

257231043_10225765317177210_3849281134165241297_n.jpg

257122400_10225765316777200_3964316190554859393_n.jpg

257364822_10225768551418064_6007434791586102713_n.jpg

257798136_10225766130397540_624441759986752369_n.jpg

• Like 2

We ended up catching two tripletail keepers, one red and 4 snapper.  Great trip and the food was delicious.  Oh....note to self....I bought 10 dozen shrimp (jumbos, I mean big shrimp) and then proceeded to kill them when I turned on the live well on in fresh water. LMAO  Not 12, not 24 but I killed 120 shrimp.  

For those that are heading down, Mullet are EVERYWHERE!  Water is clean!  Water temp is still at 75-77 degrees! Bait store shrimp are huge!

• Like 3

16 hours ago, SeaSerpent123 said:

I bought 10 dozen shrimp (jumbos, I mean big shrimp) and then proceeded to kill them when I turned on the live well on in fresh water. LMAO  Not 12, not 24 but I killed 120 shrimp.  

I never keep live shrimp in the live well any more...I use a soft cooler, keep them in a bag  with a frozen ice block and some extra cubes in a sealed bags....and they last all day....or, if you really need to use the live well, you just get two or three bubbler heads, pour in about 2 " of water (salt :) ) and leave them bubble...you can keep them like this for 24-48 hours...I used to use a small kiddie pool or a larger cooler and keep them going over night.....shrimp don't need a lot of fresh water...they need lots of oxygen and you will actually kill them from running the live well too much, especially if they don't have a net bag in the live well so they can hold on to something.

Great job BTW....wonderful pics and looks like you had a lot of fun.

DC

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
7 hours ago, SeaSerpent123 said:

You only do that once :)

120 .....hmmmmm....PETA will be calling you soon.....

Now, as I have said many many times......shrimp in a plastic bag and then in a cooler will last all day.....or old skoool....lay them in newspaper, spread them out, then put them  them on top of ice bags.....

DC

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

You only do that once :)

120 .....hmmmmm....PETA will be calling you soon.....

Now, as I have said many many times......shrimp in a plastic bag and then in a cooler will last all day.....or old skoool....lay them in newspaper, spread them out, then put them  them on top of ice bags.....

DC

That was the video from that trip.  It is getting posted soon or at least I hope so.  I just found it funny so wanted to share.

13 minutes ago, SeaSerpent123 said:

That was the video from that trip.  It is getting posted soon or at least I hope so.  I just found it funny so wanted to share.

Another tip.....NEVER NEVER NEVER CLEAN YOUR LIVEWELL WITH BLEACH OR ANY LIKE THIS :)

ASK ME HOW I KNOW THIS :)

Or, if you do, you need to run that live well for at least an hour or spray it spray it spray it over and over with fresh water.....

Becareful of soap on the deck going into the well....

I lost a whole net of pilchards one time in Choko years ago when I had the Pathy...

there was a while residue that got into the livewel....ugggh...nobody looks in there anyways :)

dc

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up the 19qt Engel Cooler/Baitbox at BPS in Islamorada.  My main live well behind the Capt Seat has the large disc bubbler on it so I used a coupling with the hose and ran that bubbler out to the Engel which was placed between the livewell and the underseat cooler.  We purchased about 10 dozen shrimp on Friday morning and had plenty of live shrimp when we returned to ramp on Sunday afternoon.  Water was cooler (Early Feb).  I did place some Ice/bottles in the cooler and used that web/mesh liner that comes with the cooler.  Those shrimp kind of latch on to the mesh. The system worked great.  I don't think the battery operated pump would work as well as the large disc or multiple stones.  It works better plugged into the 12v power outlet but the house pump worked great in there.  I've got the house pump, a spare pump with gator clips and a 110v pump for the dock.  

• Like 1