Boat life life sealant vs 3m for gunnel joint

Pelican racer

Looking for anyone that has used boat life life seal for deck joints.

I have two joints on the gunnel that were previously sealed with sikflex. It was very gummy and held the dirt. I removed it and it looks like I’m down to choosing 1 of 3 products. 

Boat Life life seal

3M 4200 or 3M 4000

Trying to find something that lasts and doesn’t mildew. My 2005 PF had white caulk/sealant that was never a problem and never had to remove it just clean it when I cleaned the boat. 

Thanks. 

6 minutes ago, Pelican racer said:

Looking for anyone that has used boat life life seal for deck joints.

I have two joints on the gunnel that were previously sealed with sikflex. It was very gummy and held the dirt. I removed it and it looks like I’m down to choosing 1 of 3 products. 

Boat Life life seal

3M 4200 or 3M 4000

Trying to find something that lasts and doesn’t mildew. My 2005 PF had white caulk/sealant that was never a problem and never had to remove it just clean it when I cleaned the boat. 

Thanks. 

I have not used Boat Life LifeSeal on deck joints, but have used it above and below the waterline everywhere else.  It would be my first choice.  Great adhesion, no mildew, and strong bond - but still removable without damage to gelcoat and fiberglass.  Second choice would be 3M 4000 over 3M 4200 because of UV resistance.  I will never allow 3M 5200 to be used on one of my boats again.

• Like 1