Holy BATMAN Maverick HPX 18 - $98K at Naples Boat Show for 18 HPX ???

Wanaflatsfish

Been doing this almost 30 years now and never seen anything like it.  We are getting hit from all directions here with price increases, in some cases weekly!  Every marine manufacturer has increased prices with more coming, everything we use has increased.  A great example are trailers, the cost increases for tires and aluminum are crazy, same with engines and rigging, not to mention glass and resin, it is nuts!  Couple all this with the supply shortages and you have the perfect storm.

Skip

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, slyshon said:

Been doing this almost 30 years now and never seen anything like it.  We are getting hit from all directions here with price increases, in some cases weekly!  Every marine manufacturer has increased prices with more coming, everything we use has increased.  A great example are trailers, the cost increases for tires and aluminum are crazy, same with engines and rigging, not to mention glass and resin, it is nuts!  Couple all this with the supply shortages and you have the perfect storm.

Skip

Listen, if the boats are still selling, it’s only a validation of the value of the brand.   Guys like me won’t get to smell that new boat smell, but in 20 years maybe I can pick up one of these 2022 boats and enjoy it like I am with my MA.  

Just keep building them to last, cause us poor guys need them floating many years from now!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

BTW,

We should all check our insurance policies...I am increasing my "agreed value" to over $35K for my MA17 1995...I need to show the receipts and upgrades but I know it will never be replaced at that level, but, at least I can recoup my investment.

DC

How do you go about doing that. When I got my geico policy I attempted to put 20k value and they said it wasn’t worth that much.. little do they know haha

Just now, Wardolb said:

How do you go about doing that. When I got my geico policy I attempted to put 20k value and they said it wasn’t worth that much.. little do they know haha

I have a new trailer $5K ameratrail.

I have $13K in repairs fiberglass

I have $900 in tank

and $5K in Powerpole's and electrical...

just show them the receipts.

dc

3 hours ago, Capt. Troy said:

When depreciating items start becoming appreciating items it ain't a good sign!

I think in Venezuela and Germany a long time ago they called it .......HYPER-INFLATION !!!

I suggest you put your tray tables to the stowed position, align your seat in the upright position, and buckle up !!!

The ride has just begun....and it will be turbulent !!! ..I would hate to be a 30-45 year old trying to buy a new house or anything in real estate these days...   ...

DC

55 minutes ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

I think in Venezuela and Germany a long time ago they called it .......HYPER-INFLATION !!!

I suggest you put your tray tables to the stowed position, align your seat in the upright position, and buckle up !!!

The ride has just begun....and it will be turbulent !!! ..I would hate to be a 30-45 year old trying to buy a new house or anything in real estate these days...   ...

DC

Shoot, man, forget buying houses, try feeding 5 hungry children and trying to save for college!   

My new "College Savings Fund" is my boat, apparently, because at this rate, I should be able to sell it in a year or two and at least expect 75k, which will cover a year or two of college!

On 1/26/2022 at 1:18 PM, Wanaflatsfish said:

BTW,

We should all check our insurance policies...I am increasing my "agreed value" to over $35K for my MA17 1995...I need to show the receipts and upgrades but I know it will never be replaced at that level, but, at least I can recoup my investment.

DC

This is a very good point! I would also recommend checking your home owners policy. Worst case scenario your house gets burned to the ground. At the cost per square foot these days to build will your insurance cover you?

Just like someone stealing your boat and getting a total loss claim. Your more than likely gonna be upside down to replace it.

Like with most insurance, you think your covered until you make a claim.

• Like 1

I'm finally able to justify my hoarding  of boats and fishing gear.  IF you fish in the NE for stripers, there is a great market for custom made wood plugs.  The best builders use to charge $35  per plug 20 years ago, outrageous,but I bgt probably 50 of these beauties over the years that now are fetching $230 on the EBay web site. My wife can't complain anymore.  Sometimes hoarding is good. LOL 

Having been in Wall street for 40 years , this is an  unreal time for sure.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2022 at 11:15 AM, slyshon said:

Skip

I know steel and raw material prices in my industry have gone up over 500% in less than a year! We are hit with price increase from large manufacturers (Timken, SKF, Dodge, etc.) almost daily. We continue to increase our price and of course, move out delivery dates due to lack of product availability, and the customer are 'okay' with it. I will say that my industry has been flourishing (lumber processing equipment) for the past 18 months or so, but still, when does it stop?  Parker, the same company that makes the hydraulic cylinder, pump and reservoir for Power Pole, has levied 14 prices increases on us in 3 months that total over 100% in increases. Who are we to Parker? Their single largest customer/OEM manufacturer. I can assure they're not trying to run us off! 

We are remodeling our master bathroom, and a little 1' x 3' widow has a 14 week lead time due to.........Pella waiting on fiberglass materials to make the frame. I can understand people being upset about pricing and lead time, but the idea that manufacturers are taking advantage or people/customer to gouge them, is ridiculous. The truth is, when the supply chain returns to normal and people get back into the workforce, the same manufacturers are going to depend and rely on the same customers. Why in the world would they crap in their hats now? 

Hang in there everyone. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Capt. Troy said:

This is a very good point! I would also recommend checking your home owners policy. Worst case scenario your house gets burned to the ground. At the cost per square foot these days to build will your insurance cover you?

Just like someone stealing your boat and getting a total loss claim. Your more than likely gonna be upside down to replace it.

Like with most insurance, you think your covered until you make a claim.

yep, 

doing that as well.....good point troy.....

DC

As someone moving back to Florida who will shortly be in the market for a new boat, I find all of this a bit distressing. I have two issues with all this. As far as I'm concerned, there really is not another choice that  isn't an MBC option. I also am getting older so waiting for prices to 'cool down' is not something I'm interested in. I'd rather spend the money now to enjoy myself than be on my death bed regretting the days I missed fishing. I am beginning to wonder if it might be cheaper to hire a guide 2 or 3 days a month for 8 or 9 months a year. 

Edited by FlyWilde
spelling, grammar
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, FlyWilde said:

I am beginning to wonder if it might be cheaper to hire a guide 2 or 3 days a month for 8 or 9 months a year. 

Guides are now $750-800 a day for top guides...so you are look at $2500 or so in guide fees....times 9=$18K...

Granted you are not paying for the cost of a boat etc.

But, there are many other options than a new MBC .....but, they are still not cheap.

Good luck....

dc

3 hours ago, FlyWilde said:

As someone moving back to Florida who will shortly be in the market for a new boat, I find all of this a bit distressing. I have two issues with all this. As far as I'm concerned, thee really is not another choice that an MBC option. I also am getting older so waiting for prices to 'cool down' is not something I'm interested in. I'd rather spend the money now to enjoy myself than be on my death bed regretting the days I missed fishing. I am beginning to wonder if it might be cheaper to hire a guide 2 or 3 days a month for 8 or 9 months a year. 

My dad (62) just sold his pontoon boat and 15’ duck boat and went to an 18’ center console war eagle. He’s gotten tired of keeping up with 2 boats.  Super wide and stable. Runs low 40’s with a 90 sho. Has some deadrise so the ride is pretty good. He added an 80lb I pilot and 8’ power pole blade. Out the door $33k. Easy clean up. Durable. Fishes 3 comfortably. He does both freshwater and saltwater fishing around SC and some duck hunting. This is the route I’d go right now if your only interested in inshore/ lakes/ river fishing. To hell with dropping 75- 150k for a flats boat or bay boat. 

5 hours ago, FlyWilde said:

As someone moving back to Florida who will shortly be in the market for a new boat, I find all of this a bit distressing. I have two issues with all this. As far as I'm concerned, thee really is not another choice that an MBC option. I also am getting older so waiting for prices to 'cool down' is not something I'm interested in. I'd rather spend the money now to enjoy myself than be on my death bed regretting the days I missed fishing. I am beginning to wonder if it might be cheaper to hire a guide 2 or 3 days a month for 8 or 9 months a year. 

I sold and bought two boats this year. We sold a 2015 and a 2014 for top dollar because they were lightly used and both showed as new. We bought two on deals. One was a FB marketplace add placed Sunday morning at 6:30am and the other was a call from someone that needed to unload his skiff. Neither were spotless and required a bunch of time to bring them up to our standards but it was worth it.  One is 2020 and one is 2021. Both were pretty decent deals compared to new. In both cases we had to be ready to buy and take delivery in a couple of days. One the next day. There are deals out there so keep looking but speed is the key to cutting a deal. My personal opinion is that there will be more deals out there between now and spring. Good luck with your search. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback. Certainly food for thought. My focus will be mainly saltwater. 

The point about moving fast makes sense. Will definitely be ready to do that. 

I have previously owned a 24' Pathfinder, a 17' Pathfinder tunnel, and a 21' Redfisher. I am debating a 24' (or so) bay boat versus an 18' or maybe 21' flats style that I can reasonably pole. Fun problem to have and good to be back to my native state. 😁