Pathfinder 2500 questions

Joedirt

I've been running a 2200 TRS since the spring of 2015 and I still absolutely love the boat. However  I want to upgrade soon, I planned on a 2400 TRS but after a little research the 2500 has me very intrigued with that being said I have a few questions about the 2500 I'm hoping some of you can help me with since I've never been on one while in operation.

Does the 300 Yamaha push it good enough and how is the hole shot?

How does it fish in skinny water? (I catch a lot of red fish in grass flats)

How much do you like the second station? Does it keep the sun off of you all day while your underneath it?

How well does she take heavy chop?

Are the fish boxes hard to clean out?

I know what to expect with the 2400 TRS however I just don't know anything about the 2500, so any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!!

pathfinder.jpg

1- the 300 is more than enough... pushes it just fine even with heavy load.  Hole shot is fine even with a 3 blade SWS II 19", 4 blade even better

2- It will get shallow but not as shallow as some.... if you are bumping bottom in the 22 now where you fish the 25 is gonna scrape.... but should still get you in casting range... diff between 24 and 25 is negligible 

3-  I dont have a 2nd station 

4- Ive run in some knarly inshore chop,  the 25 flattens it

5-I refuse to put fish in boat "fish boxes... so cant answer that

I also was between the 24 and 25.... for what I do (mostly offshore) the layout in the 25 was perfect for me.  I would think if mostly inshore the 24 makes more sense but just my opinion

After putting 200 hours on my 2500, here’s my comments:

The 2500 will float and run in almost the same amount of water compared to a 2200.

The 300 Yamaha pushes my boat square starting at 3600 rpm, but I do not have a tee top.

Since I run a 3 blade prop, my hole shot is nothing to right home about.  It improves some, if move my jackplate to 3

i have a macerator  in my big fish box, you will be hard pressed to completely fill it with fish.  I only use the big fish box if I plan to catch a bunch of big fish. I use the port side-crab well for trout and redfish or the center baitwell for a short day grouper or snapper trip.  This saves on ice, and usually just rinse the box out and leave the lid open to dry.

• Thanks 1

I have put my 2500 through a lot since I got it. Was just out sailfishing in it on Friday. I regularly run 75 miles a day.

It will handle anything that you want to be out in and then more. 

I don’t fish shallow but I regularly catch bait in shallow. But I do catch bait daily and it gets skinny enough for me. Some days I am bumping across the bottom.

I have the 2nd station and it is absolutely worth it. I use it everyday catching bait and was just in it spotting sails. 

I also use the fish box on every trip. I put the fish, dead baits and chum all in the box and still have plenty of room. It’s nice not to have a cooler on the deck. 

Any questions just ask. I have put almost 400 hrs in about a year and taken it from Flamingo to west of the Marquesas and offshore regularly looking for dolphin, sails, etc. 

B466C34D-D7A8-44D8-8A48-1BB639076451.jpeg

0C800C54-F2CE-4855-A62B-0C99871DF575.jpeg

B6AB9786-2F68-4AA7-AB4B-781FBE377EA5.jpeg

2108D9D3-6F03-4B7B-92C9-C7F0323D778F.jpeg

A friend fo mine has a 2500 without a t-top. He was running in the upper 50's or more with his 300 Yamaha. He just added a supercharger (Nizpro?) and he's running right at 70. The boat is a fishing machine. Gets you where you want to go quickly and fishes very well. I love the boat. I sent think you will be disappointed if you get one.

16 hours ago, Joedirt said:

Guys all of your reviews have been very informative and I appreciate them more than you know! Maybe I need to charter a trip with you seacraft!

If you get down this way, let me know. I’ll hook it up so you can get some time in on the boat. 

The only thing that I wish I could really change is the fuel tank size. Mine only has 67, which just means I have to fill up more often. The new ones have 78 I believe, but I wish it held at least 90. 

On 1/30/2022 at 9:16 AM, Seacraft06 said:

I have put my 2500 through a lot since I got it. Was just out sailfishing in it on Friday. I regularly run 75 miles a day.

It will handle anything that you want to be out in and then more. 

I don’t fish shallow but I regularly catch bait in shallow. But I do catch bait daily and it gets skinny enough for me. Some days I am bumping across the bottom.

I have the 2nd station and it is absolutely worth it. I use it everyday catching bait and was just in it spotting sails. 

I also use the fish box on every trip. I put the fish, dead baits and chum all in the box and still have plenty of room. It’s nice not to have a cooler on the deck. 

Any questions just ask. I have put almost 400 hrs in about a year and taken it from Flamingo to west of the Marquesas and offshore regularly looking for dolphin, sails, etc. 

B466C34D-D7A8-44D8-8A48-1BB639076451.jpeg

0C800C54-F2CE-4855-A62B-0C99871DF575.jpeg

B6AB9786-2F68-4AA7-AB4B-781FBE377EA5.jpeg

2108D9D3-6F03-4B7B-92C9-C7F0323D778F.jpeg

So how well does the 300 push your boat with the second station? Do you feel like you have plenty of running power and hole shot?

6 hours ago, Joedirt said:

So how well does the 300 push your boat with the second station? Do you feel like you have plenty of running power and hole shot?

I think it has plenty of power. I am always running heavy; full fuel, at least one live well full, the fish box always iced down. It gets up on plane with ease, never had an issue and I don’t even use the tabs to get up. 

If it’s calm figure I am around 4200rpm and 36-38mph at 2.8mpg. I can manage 3.1mpg but it’s usually with the wind to my back. 

I do a lot of running in the “ocean” going down to the Marquesas and out to the reef. There I am usually 3800-4000rpm 32-34mph at 2.6mpg. 

When it gets rough the fuel burn obviously jumps significantly. 2.1-2.4mpg. But this is when it’s rough and the tabs and motor are buried and I am just chugging along. 

I do have the front shade on my tower and I think it has an affect on the fuel burn. 

14 hours ago, Bamaskeet said:

You pay a huge penalty for a tower.  Without a tower running with full fuel I’m running square at 3700 rpm burning 3.3 mpg in relatively flat water.  Obviously if you have to slug it out, your fuel economy goes to 2.5 mpg.

Do you know roughly what your mph is at 3700 rpm?

On 2/3/2022 at 6:17 PM, Bamaskeet said:

You pay a huge penalty for a tower.  Without a tower running with full fuel I’m running square at 3700 rpm burning 3.3 mpg in relatively flat water.  Obviously if you have to slug it out, your fuel economy goes to 2.5 mpg.

The tower definitely hurts the fuel burn, but it’s worth it to me. 

The numbers I provided are real world, fully loaded and in everyday weather. Not the slicked out exceptions, whereby the fuel burn is definitely a little better. But I have never seen over 3.1 and only see that in the best conditions. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have over 1000hrs on my 25. The boat floats in some shallow water for being a large bay boat. I had a 22 TE as well and when fully loaded the draft between the two is negligible. The 25 does not seem to gain much draft with the extra weight added, livewells full, full tank of fuel. I have the hardtop and do a little better than the tower boats but not as well without a top. I also run a four blade prop, the fuel economy would improve if I moved to a 3 blade. I can maintain 3.0mpg at 32mph which is were I run when running offshore. The smaller fuel tanks of the older 25 is the only down fall of the boat. I fill the fish box with ice and hopefully with fish every offshore trip. I keep debating about moving to a larger boat but this boat keeps impressing me with the ability to fish offshore and inshore.