Transducer placement for new Garmin Echomap on 2002 2200V

Hi, new to the forum.  I just bought a good used 2002 PF 2200V.  the previous owner tried mounting the old transducer on the starboard side but behind the metal water intake (I think) in the bottom of the hull.  He had bad luck there and move to a through hull setup.  20 years later, I have a new Garmin Echomap 73SV GPS.  I know it wont work well where he put one years ago.  Can anyone give me advice on where to put this and have good performance? Please show pic if you can.  thank you!  Jeff

This is where mine is located on my 2002.  I have no issues with keeping lock on the bottom at any speed.  I know you new transducer is larger, but if I were to do one like you have, I would put it in the same place. and see what happens.  Let us know as I have been considering upgrading to the 73SV also.

StarboardRabudScupperTransducerCabl.jpeg

Thank you Chief and Fin,  I was wondering about that spot.  the old mount screws on mine are 6" to the right.   I was hoping the spot yours is located would work.  I will try it out.  Hoping it reads at higher speed.  My setup runs between 55 and 60 wot on the gps.  I will let you know in a week how the 73SV performs.

Smilemaker -  

I found this old post of yours with the picture of the ducer in the pocket.  Where did you run the cable?  Is it just up and over the splashwell?  

How did you fine tune the angle of the ducer with the bottom of the hull?  Just a long straight edge?  With that mounting location there isnt much (or any) "up and down" repositioning.  It would only be slight changes in angle, right?

I mounted mine from the top (ceiling) of the pocket.  The metal bracket will fold back on itself. 

I measured this dimension to see how  thick the spacer needed to be to have the transducer at the proper height. 

I then routed a groove that allowed adjustments in the spacer and exposed and using a short screws mounted it to the pocket .

You can  change the  angle as usual  but to increase the depth of the transducer just add thin spacer between the bracket and the spacer. (Think of the bracket as a transom  saver mounted  to the top of the pocket.

The biggest  warning is  be sure to account for  the trailer bunks. 

Just below the bottom as with any transducer  the inner edge is what you go by as on any v in  boat.

My bunks are towards the center so  I went to the outside slightly to avoid  them.

I have often wondered why not do this on any stepped hull because  you can drop it low to avoid aeration issues and  not throw a rooster tail.

• 1 year later...