Atlas Jack Plate Question

Headhunter

16 hours ago, Headhunter said:

I can’t get the Atlas 6 inch jackplate over 3 inches. The motor continues to run but no movement beyond the 3 inch mark. Is there some place to add fluid or what? Any help is appreciated as always.

Headhunter, If there is a lot drag it is possible for the fluid to by pass and stop pushing the ram. So first check for a bind or excessive drag.

These actuators are self contained and made by Parker, Mine is a Parker EHA.  Do a search, there manuals are open source online. 

https://ph.parker.com/us/en/compact-electro-hydraulic-actuator

They are not designed to be field repaired although I have replaced my motor and other forum members have had local hydraulic shops do repairs.

I went on TH marine’s website and it suggests using dish soap to clean the black guide and then use silicone spray. Did that and picked up an ice of lift so two things. 
I think it’s dirt grime or both on the black slide pieces and the motor is going to bypass. 
I did the silicone spray (a whole can) and picked up an inch of lift so I think I am going in the right direction..

I am going to do the dish soap tonight and spray again tomorrow. 
any other thoughts are appreciated and I will report back tomorrow. 

• Like 1

Try WD 40, It will not hurt anything and is better than Silicon for the initial getting it unstuck.  

Next step is to remove the actuator. That will intel supporting the motor. I do this with the boat on the trailer, a quality outboard lift eye and a cherry picker. 

This will tell you if the Jack Plate is really sticking or if the Actuator is the problem. If the weight of the outboard moves the plate down and the Lifting jack moves it up then the problem might be the actuator.

On 2/4/2022 at 6:36 PM, Headhunter said:

I can’t get the Atlas 6 inch jackplate over 3 inches. The motor continues to run but no movement beyond the 3 inch mark. Is there some place to add fluid or what? Any help is appreciated as always.

The "slides" (not sure that's the proper name) get gunked up with mud, oyster shells, etc.  Some people have used grease on the slides and that aggravates the problem.  Try taking a tool/wire brush etc. and cleaning them out really good.  Then, take DAWN dish washing detergent and pour it all over each slide.  Let it soak a while.  Then get your power washer and blast them both.  After it dries, spray silicon on each slide (and do this after you wash the boat each time you use it).  Hope this helps.  PS:  don't "ride" the switch--it will burn up the relays.  Switch, up or down, and then release.  Hope this helps.  

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

@Headhunter did you ever figure this out? I have the same problem. I just ordered a new actuator on Amazon for $170 because the actuator looks terrible and to get to the fluid, I have to remove it anyway. Just not sure that is the only problem because like you, mine still runs, just binds up at around 3 - 4. If I go up and down a bunch, I can start to inch it up a little higher.

I finally spoke to Atlas. The cable will not let the jackplate raise beyond 3-4 inches. When it gets the cable tight the pump goes into bypass as its supposed too. I have found that keeping the cylinders clean and running it up and down every trip does make it work better. Check and see how tight the cable is at 3-4 inches in height. Stupid, I know.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

Thanks, I will verify again but I don't think the cable is tight. In my case, the pump makes a terrible noise at the upper limit and then once it stops, it takes several back and forth with the switch to get it to move back down again. I've had it stuck in the up position before thinking I was going to have to limp home but usually I can get it to go back down after a few minutes of trying.

Like I said, I'll see if the actuator replacement does it. At least on paper it SEEMS easy (famous last words with every boat project I have ever taken on).

That was easy! It must have been the actuator. It was even out of fluid, so obviously the actuator was compromised in some way. I filled it back up with ATF and used this replacement which is a perfect plug and play replacement:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KBB5Q61?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

For anyone who runs into this problem later and finds this thread....