Which 2200?

Captain Paul

If one were to decide on a model for fishing the Charlotte Harbor area for mostly tarpon, redfish,snook, etc, which model would you choose? It would be a 2008 or newer. What if I wanted to fish for fun some redfish tournaments? I initially thought I’d like flip up seats but have maybe rethought that. Is the Tournament the clear winner? 

If your going to tournament fish you need a Tournament Series for the large live well. You might be able to find a TRS with the Aft Port side plumbed for a Live well but I do not think the well would be as big. 

I have a TRS and like the seats and Love the access to the bilge. I do not think my center live well would be adequate two hold two 28" red fish.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bamaskeet said:

The Tournament model has some nice fishing features.  In 2008 Pathfinder started to produce the 2200XL model.  This model can handle the new heavy four strokes and the floor is raised 3” to reduce water intrusion.  

The old 2200 is faster and more nimble than the 2200XL.

OK, so from what I understand, the 2008 became an XL with a 25” transom to handle heavier four strokes, a deck raised above the waterline for better draining and recessed trim tabs. It may not be quite as fast or nimble but I’m not coming from a bass boat so suspect it will be plenty fast for me to not have water on the deck. 

I understand most were ordered with the 250 to provide additional power for the 95 gallons of bait tanks. Two options for those with the VMax having more torque. Any real life expectation for top end with each of those?

I had a 2014 tournament and would never consider anything else for what you want to do.  You can carry any bait you want. Plenty of room for big redfish to weigh in and release. I loved the size of the stern deck to fish from while I had two anglers up front. Mine had a 200 SHO and it still ran 50 light. 
If you  have the budget you might want to look at a 23HPS. That would have been my choice to replace the 22TE. 
Good luck with your search. 

2 hours ago, Headhunter said:

I had a 2014 tournament and would never consider anything else for what you want to do.  You can carry any bait you want. Plenty of room for big redfish to weigh in and release. I loved the size of the stern deck to fish from while I had two anglers up front. Mine had a 200 SHO and it still ran 50 light. 
If you  have the budget you might want to look at a 23HPS. That would have been my choice to replace the 22TE. 
Good luck with your search. 

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. 

I've had 3 22's....2TE's and now a new TRS. I am a live bait diehard. My goal is 500 pilchards every trip! I thought when I move tot he TRS it would cut down on my capacity but with the port well plumbed I've never thought I don't have enough. Both wells also have bubblers to help and the capacity and effectiveness is awesome. This opens the way to have the seats and under deck storage back there. i am very happy with this setup. 

• Sad 1