Hewes 18LT Trolling Motor Install

Wizumz

Does anyone have info/pictures on how they have done a bow mounted trolling motor on the older Light Tackle Hewes models?  I'm attempting an install currently of a motor guide trolling motor with a quick release bracket but running into issues reaching the underside of the would-be mount location.  Also, having issues with clearance of the tm shaft and the rub rail, to get ~1" of a gap the mount would have to be right up against the edge, which makes me believe I wouldn't even be able to send a bolt through without hitting the underside of the rail lips. 

Thanks for anyone that has experience here and can shed some light.  It seems like I'm going to have to make some sort of starboard base that's going to allow the trolling motor to deploy further out and use toggle bolts to secure it all.

689508847_2022-03-2114_47_52-MyDrive-GoogleDrive.png

1641738535_2022-03-2114_48_09-MyDrive-GoogleDrive.png

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Wizumz said:

Does anyone have info/pictures on how they have done a bow mounted trolling motor on the older Light Tackle Hewes models?  I'm attempting an install currently of a motor guide trolling motor with a quick release bracket but running into issues reaching the underside of the would-be mount location.  Also, having issues with clearance of the tm shaft and the rub rail, to get ~1" of a gap the mount would have to be right up against the edge, which makes me believe I wouldn't even be able to send a bolt through without hitting the underside of the rail lips. 

Thanks for anyone that has experience here and can shed some light.  It seems like I'm going to have to make some sort of starboard base that's going to allow the trolling motor to deploy further out and use toggle bolts to secure it all.

689508847_2022-03-2114_47_52-MyDrive-GoogleDrive.png

1641738535_2022-03-2114_48_09-MyDrive-GoogleDrive.png

I have a 2000 18’ LT that I put a MinnKota I pilot on this year. i used a wrench taped to a paint stirrer to do it. I have large fender washers on all of the bolts and there is 0 flex. I have used off shore snapper fishing in moderate weather with no issues. You will have enough room to do it. Just wont be a good time. Make sure the puck is far enough forward that you can use your front cleat. Mine is good but is low clearance when the TM is on it, but works fine. 

Thanks guys, this is helpful.  I'll give this another try over the weekend.  I have a cheater bar I could tape a wrench to that should give enough reach for bolts.

My plan to try this weekend is to reverse the quick release bracket to allow the inner puck to be farther inside the edge of the boat, I found a video on YouTube of a guy doing this and it's exactly what I need to do.

For anyone interested:

Then tape a wrench to a breaker bar and use an inspection camera so I don't flip the wrench over and lose my nuts and washers inside the boat.  Will update with results.  Thank you @Shallowminded6 and @polliwog for the advice!

• 2 weeks later...

An update, motor is installed successfully and wiring is tested and complete.  The inspection camera was a life-saver, highly suggest this method to anyone doing this project.  It'll be frustrating but having a really bright shop light inside the boat helped a lot.  I have photos of the install below.  We taped the washer together and wrenched onto the aluminum washer so they didn't fall out while trying to place it, then once those were on the bottom the nylon lock nut was carefully placed, used a piece of duct tape under the wrench to help from dropping the nut. 

shop light inside boatinspection camera tape to wrench taped to chisel

CeKCCv5.jpg

success

A4nON8l.jpg

Ionic 50ah 24v lithium battery in the port bow hatch, perfect fit.  Drilled two holes in the hatch wall for the wires to snake up to the bow. No on-board charger yet, will be charging at home until I figure out where I can charge at my marina (dry-stowed).

jCyJlhb.jpg

I had a similar situation on my 'new to me' 16 Redfisher.  The prior owner had mounting holes drilled that were too far rear to work with  my Minn Kota puck and a

Riptide ST motor.   I fabricated an intermediate mounting plate of 1/4" aluminum ....... used the existing mounting holes to secure the plate and then located the

puck farther our toward the bow to provide shaft clearance.  The plate was drilled and tapped to accept 1/4 x 20 SS screws for the puck ...... length of screws so

that the bottom end is flush with underside of plate.

jb