Ported prop 250 show bravo

Wanaflatsfish

On 3/28/2022 at 1:45 PM, Sunstone said:

Same results here.

Got a chance to run the HPS today.....

spooled up in FLL Inlet....woooozer !!!  Sounded like a "jet engine"....and the hole shot was instant....

Had the wife and daughter in the HPS and we ran off shore for about 15-20 minutes.....nice ocean chop and it ran great.....near and mid-range acceleration is instant....

I goes from 0-3500 RPM's in about 2 seconds and up on plane....250 SHO with T top.

dc

I would have said that you didn’t need to open the ports on the SHO, but since you had good results I guess the point is mute. I would say that you could likely buy the plugs with smaller holes and get good results rather than having them completely open. 
 I have a different hull but I run my Bravo with solid plugs it seems to spool up really well. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HoneyB said:

I would have said that you didn’t need to open the ports on the SHO, but since you had good results I guess the point is mute. I would say that you could likely buy the plugs with smaller holes and get good results rather than having them completely open. 
 I have a different hull but I run my Bravo with solid plugs it seems to spool up really well. 

I have not yet checked the prop in shallow water so that will be another day...for me, spooling up and hole shot will be most important when fishing Everglades park.

let's see after the first trip.

dc

• 2 weeks later...

Hey DC, 

Hole shot will be insane with the open plugs, as they allow exhaust gas to escape around the blades to help spool up the prop from idle or low speed. The design intent is to address the lack of low speed torque that 2 strokes produce; it helps them take off until they get plane and get into the meat of their powerband and turn bigger props efficiently. The 4 stroke SHO has gobs of torque down low, and will have no problem spooling up that (is it a 23p?) prop. With the introduction of exhaust gas AND the low end grunt of the SHO, you risk true cavitation during the life of the prop, which will inherently be short. Keep a close eye on the condition of your prop if you decide to run it with open ports. To me, the trade off isn't worth it. A 22p will rocket out of the hole and run close to 60 or more with the t-top. That 23p was cast from a 22p anyhow, so it's close, it just has some cup that was added by hand and eyeball. 

Oh, and you can buy the plugs off eBay, too. 

Good luck! 

5 hours ago, BradM said:

Hey DC, 

Hole shot will be insane with the open plugs, as they allow exhaust gas to escape around the blades to help spool up the prop from idle or low speed. The design intent is to address the lack of low speed torque that 2 strokes produce; it helps them take off until they get plane and get into the meat of their powerband and turn bigger props efficiently. The 4 stroke SHO has gobs of torque down low, and will have no problem spooling up that (is it a 23p?) prop. With the introduction of exhaust gas AND the low end grunt of the SHO, you risk true cavitation during the life of the prop, which will inherently be short. Keep a close eye on the condition of your prop if you decide to run it with open ports. To me, the trade off isn't worth it. A 22p will rocket out of the hole and run close to 60 or more with the t-top. That 23p was cast from a 22p anyhow, so it's close, it just has some cup that was added by hand and eyeball. 

Oh, and you can buy the plugs off eBay, too. 

Good luck! 

I'm heading to Chokoloskee in the morning to truly fish her hard....

Took it the Everglades last weekend with the family and my grandson to catch some fresh water goodies.....6 people in the boat...hole shot 1.5 boat lengths...yes, it grabs....and rocks forward....I had the OFX prop on my Pathy 22 and a F150..it was a 17 ported and it jumped out of the hole.

More Sunday...

dc