2005 Pathfinder 2000, Sluggish Start

Beehaw

I bought a used 05 2000, with an F115.  It had a very sluggish start, almost like a lag in the middle.  I have repowered with a new F150, replaced several batteries, replaced the battery switch, all to no avail.  I assume there is a problem in the switch or wiring harness, both of which are original.

I see a minor amount of rust on the bottom of the key switch, but no noticeable corrosion.  I traced the wiring harness to the plug shown, which I assume contains the starter wires.

My battery is in the console and my battery switch in in the bilge.  The wire between the two is original, but i have thoroughly cleaned the connections on each end.

I am open to ideas or suggestions of where to troubleshoot next.

IMG-6734.jpg

I doubt its the key switch it carries no load.

What ID do:

Refer to the manual and make sure battery has the required MCA or CCA for as in the manual if yes Id put the battery in the bilge and attach the motor leads directly to the battery and start it.... see if problem still exists, this will tell you for sure if its a problem in the boat wiring.

If it still starts slow I'd suspect the battery wiring from the battery in the console... is it the appropriate gauge for the length its run?  If yes Ive seen deterioration where the wires are crimped into the lug causing similar start issue could also have a bad spot...  Id prolly go ahead and cut back wires and crimp on new lugs.  

I highly doubt the issue is in the plugs in your pic. 

• Like 2

I had this hiding under high quality shrink tubing. I was having intermittent sluggish starter drive. Notice more than half the cable broken at the lug. Finding this prompted me the replace both the House Battery cables. Problem disappeared. 

Point is the cables looked fine and I had cleaned all the connections, but the lug end felt a little strange so I removed the shrink tubing and found the problem.

Bad Cable.jpg

• Like 2

Most likely your main ground cable from motor to battery. Had an ‘03 2200v that was having the same issue, had to pull the ground cable out just to find they spliced it in the middle from the factory to extend it. Problem was that the heat shrink didn’t keep moisture out since it was laying in the rigging tube for 15 year’s corroding away. Looked like a golf ball once I found it. Replaced with new cable, all good!

Before I replaced the main conductors, I decided to replace the terminals, as they looked a little loose.  I bought Panduit crimp on terminals and borrowed a hydraulic terminal compression tool.  Motor cranks great now.  I cringe to think of how long I have had this problem before addressing it.

• Like 2