How are you cleaning the battery compartment and inside console on a 2500?

FINCHASER

Once or twice a year I get in there and hand scrub the mildew and crud from there.... Most likely the worst task I have to do cleaning wise on this thing.  Awkward positions on your knees leaning way down to reach inside to scrub is a chore to say the least.  It doesnt help that my hands catch on every exposed screw tip and sharp zip tie tag that leaves me looking like I fought a wild cat lol.

Im wondering if the battery compartment will drain water as Id like to scrub it with a brush and rinse it out..... Probably not brave enough to hose down the inner console face around all the wiring but wonder if anyone has a better solution than trying to reach in around and behind the wiring to clean the mildew from there?

Finchaser,

I had MBG send me pictures during the build of my 2500 and looking through the construction pictures it appears that the battery department will drain to the bilge. I haven’t validated the drain hole is there, but looks promising for rinsing out the compartment. 
However on second thought I think there is an insert and don’t now if the insert has a drain.  

FCE7482B-647A-44E9-91E6-CF074C1F2053.thumb.jpeg.97fde320e1ac8f5c991f265e18d64fd6.jpeg

Edited by reelhooked
Updated information

After the initial mold cleanup, leave all of your hatches, compartments, doors, etc open after each outing. Let them air dry and ventilate. You shouldn't ever get mold in there again. I did mine right after I bought it 4 yrs ago. It was filthy. I use Purple Power and soap for the initial cleanup job and after that, the inside of the console usually never needs another wash. I always spray my bilge area down after every trip. Once the boat is parked, all of my hatches and doors get opened and stay that way until the next trip. No mold or mildew ever again.

8 hours ago, FINCHASER said:

It doesnt help that my hands catch on every exposed screw tip and sharp zip tie tag that leaves me looking like I fought a wild cat lol.

I was just in there pulling wire to the top of my T-Top....I had several Wild Cat encounters :) 

8 hours ago, FINCHASER said:

Im wondering if the battery compartment will drain water as Id like to scrub it with a brush and rinse it out..... Probably not brave enough to hose down the inner console face around all the wiring but wonder if anyone has a better solution than trying to reach in around and behind the wiring to clean the mildew from there?

Can you take a pic....I would imagine it would have to drain out.....everything has a exit to the bilge..or should.....your batteries are located under the console deck ? correct ?

If you do spray it down, I would add a light coat of Yamaha shield on any electronics...

dc

Reel hooked yea I assume it would but dont see a drain in the compartment so wondering if it is able to drain around the edges as there is a tray that goes over top of that area in the bilge where the batts sit

Hewesyour daddy- yea I try to leave things open as much as possible but boat is outdoors so sometimes its not doable

Dino- Yea try to get one tm.... and yes the tray is below console floor 

Best thing I have done is to buy from the Dollar Store, buy these Moisture Eliminators,  I keep at least one in each locker and two inside the battery compartment and two inside the console.  Once a month They are totally filled and I replace them.  I buy a case of them at a time, they work great and keep all the closed lockers dry and mildew free.  I was amazed how good they work.  They are now $1.25 each but well worth it.

https://www.dollartree.com/the-home-store-charcoal-moisture-eliminators-98oz-tubs/160017

• Like 1