1997 Bayfisher 16' Price

croakersmoker

I recently blew up the motor on my 1997 bayfisher 16 and am looking into what my options are. After looking into repowering, it looks like it will cost around 15k for a new motor. Since I only paid $11,500 for the whole rig last year, this price scares the crap out of me! I am considering cutting my losses and putting my money into another boat. I want to know what you think my hull and trailer are worth in this current market. I am located in New Orleans. Here is a brief description of the boat:

1997 Bayfisher 16

Original Trim Tabs and pumps

All lights and associated wiring replaced last month with LED 

24V Minn Kota I Pilot

Lowrance Hook 5

2012 Aluminum Sport Trail Trailer with new tires and hubs this year 

Currently has original Yamaha C90 2 stroke with unknown hours and thrown rod

JL Marine Stereo with two 8" speakers

Hull is unpainted and in great shape, shines like a diamond. I am the third owner, boat was stored indoors before me, and under a cover while I own it. No transom damage, or underside damage besides typical oyster rash.

Based on the going price of the engine I just blew up, Could I hope to fetch $9,500 for the rig, or is that dreaming? Thanks in advance for any insight.

It will be very difficult to get $9500 without a working motor.  

Since the boat is in such good condition with all those goodies... slap a new Df90 and enjoy the boat for years to come. I recommend the zuke because its typically cheaper but just as reliable. 

If you don't feel comfortable with the price of a new motor you can look into rebuilding the current motor or finding another one used. 

• Like 1

Under normal circustances it would not be hard to get a good used 90HP 6 or 7,000 bucks ,but with the disaster in the prices of boats and motors now it will be a tough job.  I bgt a new Yamaha 150 5 yrs ago for $14,000 and today it's probably close to 20,000 if you can find one.

The motor on an old boat is worth more than half the value in my opinion.  If I were to sell my 20ft LT with that motor I would look for 18,000-20,000, with out the motor maybe $8,000.

• Like 1