Best transducer location 2001-2010 Redfisher 16’

searing

I have a 2000 Bayfisher 16 which is the same hull as the 2001-2010 Redfisher’s. I’m wanting to install my HDS-9 3in1 transducer and hoping to get some input on the best location and how much below to install for best all around reading while on plane or fishing. I found two different pictures showing what I thought two likely locations to mount it. I would really appreciate any experienced advice or input.

Thank you!

EB623C4B-8D84-4767-BA81-1E5B8B9DA656.jpeg

22D795FB-A0BF-4043-A62D-46A454F04327.jpeg

The Lowrance installation manual specifies not to mount transducers on the port side of the motor.  Here are a couple pics of where I mounted mine on my previous RF 16.  I had a StructureScan 3D transducer (same size as 3-in-1) so I didn't need the SS3D transducer to read on plane because I had a second downscan transducer.  Just showing this setup for ideas, but I think the spot where I placed the smaller downscan transducer is the best place for your 3-in-1 to be mounted so you can read bottom while on plane.  I've gotta say though, when my boat was not on plane, the view on the HDS-9 screen from that SS3D transducer mounted in the pocket was stunning.  I could see high-res structure detail out 500 feet from the boat on each side.  Do you have a jack plate?

0806201855c.jpg

0806201855r.jpg

0806201856a.jpg

4 hours ago, geeviam said:

The Lowrance installation manual specifies not to mount transducers on the port side of the motor.  Here are a couple pics of where I mounted mine on my previous RF 16.  I had a StructureScan 3D transducer (same size as 3-in-1) so I didn't need the SS3D transducer to read on plane because I had a second downscan transducer.  Just showing this setup for ideas, but I think the spot where I placed the smaller downscan transducer is the best place for your 3-in-1 to be mounted so you can read bottom while on plane.  I've gotta say though, when my boat was not on plane, the view on the HDS-9 screen from that SS3D transducer mounted in the pocket was stunning.  I could see high-res structure detail out 500 feet from the boat on each side.  Do you have a jack plate?

0806201855c.jpg

0806201855r.jpg

0806201856a.jpg

Thank you for the detailed info and photos. Beautiful boat!

I don't have a jack plate and not sure I'll ever install one. Since mine is an older model not balanced for the newer heavier 4 strokes I like not having any extra weight in the stern and how she floats. I've included a picture of my boat showing the location of the transducer it came with. It is on the starboard side.  I guess my big question is which is the better all around location to mount my 3-in-1 transducer. Should it be where my old one is on the starboard keel, or where yours is being more centered between the starboard keel and trim tab?

May I ask what those white blocks that you mounted both your transducers on. Are they transom savers, or transom pads?

Thank you

IMG_E3634[1].JPG

6 hours ago, searing said:

Thank you for the detailed info and photos. Beautiful boat!

I don't have a jack plate and not sure I'll ever install one. Since mine is an older model not balanced for the newer heavier 4 strokes I like not having any extra weight in the stern and how she floats. I've included a picture of my boat showing the location of the transducer it came with. It is on the starboard side.  I guess my big question is which is the better all around location to mount my 3-in-1 transducer. Should it be where my old one is on the starboard keel, or where yours is being more centered between the starboard keel and trim tab?

May I ask what those white blocks that you mounted both your transducers on. Are they transom savers, or transom pads?

Thank you

Thanks!  Good thinking - not adding a jack plate unless you really need it.  In my opinion, having the transducer mounted right on a strake like yours is, is not the best location.  Halfway between strakes on the transom is better because strakes make bubbles and turbulence ahead of the transducer which messes up the picture on your fish finder.  So the answer is yes, I think the location of my smaller downscan transducer is better.

The white blocks are 3/4" thick King Starboard HDPE.  I wanted to mount the blocks of King Starboard HDPE to the transom so I could drill new holes and move the transducer on the HDPE blocks if needed, rather than drilling more holes in my boat.  The hinged stainless piece that the tranducer is mounted to is a Transducer Shield Spring Back Bracket which is a cool add-on to have in case your transducer hits a submerged object or runs aground.  https://www.transducershieldandsaver.com/product/sbb-4-to-attach-a-transom-style-transducer-on-a-transom-copy/

On 5/22/2022 at 7:26 PM, HoneyB said:

Mine always reads in this location. 

B557B9AB-520C-4CD8-BE4B-1E3B0BD122F4.jpeg

That’s where the original one on mine is too. I think Geeviam is right too, I’ve always heard stay away from strakes. However this strake is bigger than the transducer and nearly the lowest part of the boat. I’ve searched the web to see every transducer install I could find on this hull and 90% have been installed where yours is.  I think I’ll make an adapter block to mount the new transducer in the same spot without making new holes and see how it works. I may also make a temporary clamp on to test the other location where Geeviam’s is and compare results. Thank you

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone considered installing there side image or 3-in-1 transducer in the pocket towards the starboard side on their Redfisher?

Pro's and Con's? It seems to me mounted anywhere else on the transom specially without a jack plate sideview would be inhibited on the port side due to the outboard motor.

Any thoughts/pictures anything would be apreciated.

I have mine mounted in the pocket and just to the right of the drain.  I would say the unit works at all speeds.  There is still a spray, but it hits the top of the pocket and is deflected back downward (no notice of spray on the transom).  Sideview works fine on port and starboard.  I used a level when mounting to determine I was online with the bottom of the hull.  Doing it over I would use a transom saver for mounting.  Oh and when it's flashing as it's reading less than a foot of water under the hull... it's not lying!

On 6/4/2022 at 8:25 PM, jim33042 said:

I have mine mounted in the pocket and just to the right of the drain.  I would say the unit works at all speeds.  There is still a spray, but it hits the top of the pocket and is deflected back downward (no notice of spray on the transom).  Sideview works fine on port and starboard.  I used a level when mounting to determine I was online with the bottom of the hull.  Doing it over I would use a transom saver for mounting.  Oh and when it's flashing as it's reading less than a foot of water under the hull... it's not lying!

Thank you. I figured that location would be great for side view and running at speed maybe even when in slight turns too. I asked here hoping to learn if there is any reason not to mount there since most on here have much more experience than I. I don't mind making a couple of holes but prefer to avoid a mistake, or wish I did something else after making holes. I'll welcome any input. I'm thinking I'll do the same thing as you did. I'll probably mount it a few inches more starboard of yours and fabricate a piece of 3/4"-1" piece of starboard that I'll mount first then mount the transducer to it.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same setup as HoneyB, mounted on the starboard strake.  I am using a Garmin GT52 transducer (big one) and the stock plastic mount.  I recently have had my mount seem to be separating and flexing when underway (massive spray coming up), I attempted to tighten it but it seems like the PO used a little too much 5200 and may have solidified this mount to the hull.  Debating what my next plan of attack is.  I ordered Garmin's Heavy Duty Stainless mount with the spray shield (I got a decent amount of spray, even before the recent mount issues).  Intrigued by mounting it in the pocket as I was not able to get any sidescan on the port side due to my outboard, which is not on a jackplate.

@geeviam how did you mount the starboard to the hull... bolts or screws?

2 hours ago, Wizumz said:

@geeviam how did you mount the starboard to the hull... bolts or screws?

Bolts through the 3 pieces of King Starboard inside the pocket - barely long enough.  Then screws to hold the bottom piece (1/2" Corian) with the transducer attached.  But If I did it again, I would only bolt one or two pieces of King Starboard and use screws to attach the other pieces to it.

The Starboard for the smaller transducer on he transom was attached with screws and some Boat Life Lifeseal adhesive caulk which is a great product.  I will not use 3M 5200 on my boat again for any reason other than to hold it together while I haul it to the landfill, LOL.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2022 at 3:30 PM, Wizumz said:

I doubt it but any cavitation issues here?  I'm definitely considering this setup as I get no reading on my sidescan out the port with my current location.

I ended up moving my transducer here.

No cavitation issues (so far), side scan works perfectly out both sides, no spray out stern. Thanks!