O.T.

TC

Question for all you diesel truck owners, I just purchased a new 2016 GMC Sierra 2500HD with a 6.6 Duramax. First diesel for me. Should I be using a fuel additive? Truck is brand new. If, so what are your suggestions. How often, what additive etc...

I'm sure you're gonna get a lot of advice. So I guess I'll go first. I've been using Lucas fuel treatment in mine for 10 years, all the time, three ounces per ten gallons as suggested. I'll be honest though the main reason was the earlier Duramax motors had injector issues (my Dads '02 went through 2 sets in 175K miles) and I was scared. Lucas was marketed as a way to protect the injectors. Have no idea if this is true, don't really care to be honest. I just do it.

Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel is what we have to deal with.

That said I use the additive from Ford for my 6.7 simply as they state it provides extra lubrication that is lacking in today's fuel.

It may just be snake oil but it makes me feel better as I know what it costs if you lose an injector pump on one of these engines. :o

What is the additive Capt Troy? Do you get it from the dealer? I just bought a 6.7 Powerstroke a few weeks ago and I was wondering the same thing. Pulls the boat like a dream though. I also have a 6.0 Powerstroke 2004 model that I never used any additives in and haven't had any problems in 200k miles. This new pollution requirements have me wondering if I should treat this one differently. Thanks

Save your money. We put over 800K miles on our trucks when we trade them in, never use any additives.

Just be sure to change oil and filters when required and only use quality ones.

What you should do is save up for the repairs that will be needed on the Re-Gen system.

one more suggestion, only buy fuel from a high volume dealer like a truck stop. Old fuel or bugged fuel will kill your engine.

Im on my 4th 2500 Diesel all bought new. My first was a Chevy 175k miles with no additives and zero issues. 2nd & 3rd were newer model Ford F250 with 100K+ on each and I used no additives and Zero issues. I just picked up a 2016 Ram 2500 Limited diesel and will use no additives. IMHO is a preference thing, but my mind cant be changed as i don't feel they are needed, I have had to many diesels with no additives and zero issues, me personally I wouldn't waste my money, but if you have the extra $$ to burn I suppose additives cant hurt? so its a matter of preference and maybe a piece of mind, but not needed.

What is the additive Capt Troy? Do you get it from the dealer? I just bought a 6.7 Powerstroke a few weeks ago and I was wondering the same thing. Pulls the boat like a dream though. I also have a 6.0 Powerstroke 2004 model that I never used any additives in and haven't had any problems in 200k miles. This new pollution requirements have me wondering if I should treat this one differently. Thanks

If you have a 6.0 with no issues I would roll the dice. :content: I buy the additive from the dealer.

I would suggest anyone with the new 6.7 do some internet searching and see the cost of the fuel system failure and related cost. Sure it could be bad fuel and so on. I'm not sure but I know the fuel system is expensive.

I have owned nothing but f-250 diesel trucks since 1985 and have kept many in my small fleet of trucks. Never even considered snake oil until the ULSD came into play. Then, the DEF fluid and so on.

The ULSD is right on par with e-10 as far as I'm concerned. It's just not the same stuff we put in our fuel tanks for many years. They got the lead out of our gas the sulfur out of our Diesel and expected the industry to overcome the consequences by a named mandate.

I suppose time will tell if the modern diesel and the ***ociated components will be as reliable as what folks bought diesel engines for over the years. To early to see if they will do the half million miles they used to do.

I darn sure know the marine diesels of today can't touch the life span of yesteryear.

Too many RPM's too little room to breath and they run them to darn hot to meet emission standards. :susel:

Rant over. :blush:

I have an 04 Cummins 6-speed Man 3500, 05 Dmax 2500 and 06 Powerstroke 250. I use FPPF Fuel Power - Diesel Fuel Treatment in them all. When I don't have the FPPF, I use Lucas or whatever I can find. All of my in-laws are in the auto parts and service business. They swear by keeping additives in today's diesels. Particularly the FFP Fuel Power product. I notice in my Dmax, which is my everyday truck, that it runs better and gets better mileage when running the FPPF and I just made two trips to Lake Wales, FL in the Dmax and Cummins and the were flawless on the road with really good fuel mileage hauling full loads.

No additive here either. Oil change every 8k and fuel filter every 10k and it runs great. If you really get sqwerlly look at a deletion with a programmer. Fuel economy will go up and overall performance will improve. New diesels are built to handle low sulfur fuel anyway.

Thanks for all the info. Hopefully all goes well with my new rig. I know where you buy fuel from is one key factor in maintaining a healthy diesel. I just hope I do not have issues with the exhaust system due to the DEF. That I know can be costly.

From what Ive read, all those DEF issues were for the most part solved. I know the 2011 Duramax trucks had issues. My buddy has had 3 Duramax diesels with the newest being a 2014. Other than injector issues on earlier model truck, I think a 2005 or 06, he hasn't had one issue with them. Basic maintenance and drive it like you stole it, on the highway, is what he subscribed to. Hopefully the DEF issues are over.

Basically is an after market exhaust kit and "tuner" or computer that you install. It's a way of getting around the use of DEF or diesel emissions fluid and the filter and sensors ***ociated with them.....that's pretty much what it is. Give or take a few parts.....lol :content: When the use of DEF first began, it was causing lots of issues with diesels or should I say the exhaust systems and DEF related parts. From what I read and was recently told, most of the bugs have been worked out by the manufacturers. DEF is a way of controlling the smog or exhaust from the diesel engine.

My duramax had a DPF or Diesel Pariculate Filter and its function was to regenerate my exhaust. Basically cook it into smaller particles. By "deleting" it I simply removed the DPF and by doing that I had to install a programmer to byp*** the computer. Worth every penny.

Well, the OP's truck is new and if you delete there goes your warranty so that isn't really an option. Not to mention some states still have emission inspections.

To stay on Topic about fuel and additives I can tell you have better not have an issue with your fuel. My buddy is a master diesel tech at a large Ford dealership.

The HPFP on the 6.7 has been known to Grenade on bad fuel. When it goes it contaminates the entire fuel system and the going price on the repair

bill is in the 8 to 10K range. :o

The tech recommends several things. Buy from high volume stations. Don't exceed 5K miles between filter changes. He also puts the Ford diesel fuel additive in his diesel truck and states he feels it may or may not do much but feels it adds lubrication to the fuel that makes up for the ULSD lack of such.

Another reason not to use fuel additives,

http://www.jlmlubricants.com/en/how-diesel-particulate-filters-work

If your using Diesel exhaust Fluid (DEF) you will have other issues to worry about. It's not so much the system it's self, it is the computer and sensors that are causing the most problems. And when they sense a problem, real or false they will shut you down. And it seems when one of our trucks shuts down it is a bad place.

Another issue is water in your fuel, if any is detected it will wreck havoc on the exhaust system.

Archived