replacing fuel tank.

smooth move

2 hours ago, Bamaskeet said:

I don’t think changing the fuel tank in a 2200V is a easy job.

You have a plastic tank, it should not need to be replaced.  Some people have changed their fuel pickup and fuel gauges.

i've had horrendous ethanol problems. had to cut a 4x10 hole in tank to hand clean it. had to make a new pick up tube in a new location too. the top of the tank looks like a patchwork puzzle. now the new pick up leaks when i have a full tank. not too much, but enough to smell it. if i'm going to spend the time and money to fix up the inside of the boat, i might as well go all the way and replace the tank. i've had the boat since new and it's the last boat i'll ever own unless it catches fire or something like that. just trying to get a ball park figure to replace, before i load it onto the trailer and take to the shop. also don't want another plastic tank. the top of mine sort of sunk down and would hold water from rain getting in through the rod holders. have since plumbed the rod holders to drain outside of the console.

I have an 2002 also and have wondered how long the tank will last.  I have run ethanol free also most the entire life of the boat.  I was wondering what the tank looked like on the inside when you cut the hole in it?  Has the ethanol taken a toll on it?

I have a fiend that is also on here that has an 2001 and just had to replace his fuel line because it was clogged and pickup fitting because it was corroded and leaking.  Have not heard yet if the hose was clogged from the ethanol or just junk over time.

2 hours ago, Chief5130 said:

I have an 2002 also and have wondered how long the tank will last.  I have run ethanol free also most the entire life of the boat.  I was wondering what the tank looked like on the inside when you cut the hole in it?  Has the ethanol taken a toll on it?

I have a fiend that is also on here that has an 2001 and just had to replace his fuel line because it was clogged and pickup fitting because it was corroded and leaking.  Have not heard yet if the hose was clogged from the ethanol or just junk over time.

my tank had a coating of reddish looking fine sand. a lot of it. after it dried it turned into a very fine grey powder with the consistency of talc. i pulled a fuel filter/separator when this happened and let it dry out, then cut the end of it off. it was full of the same thing. haven't used ethanol since getting the new motor. paid $6.00 a gal for non ethanol 93 a few weeks ago. i'm real frugal on my fishing trips these days.

2 hours ago, smooth move said:

my tank had a coating of reddish looking fine sand. a lot of it. after it dried it turned into a very fine grey powder with the consistency of talc. i pulled a fuel filter/separator when this happened and let it dry out, then cut the end of it off. it was full of the same thing. haven't used ethanol since getting the new motor. paid $6.00 a gal for non ethanol 93 a few weeks ago. i'm real frugal on my fishing trips these days.

Thanks, here in Virginia I get 89 Ethanol free now for $5.84.  Was $5.00 a few weeks ago.  I am glad I have a 4 stroke now.  The cost does sting but I am not going to let it keep me off the water.

Just had to replace my pickup tube flange, pickup tube, anti-siphon valve, and fuel line in my 2001 22v as Tyson mentioned above.  Pickup tube flange was corroded beyond belief (it was aluminum) and I had one made out of stainless.  Fuel line had issues after 20 years of ethanol fuel.

Hoping it all lasts another 20 years!  

20220406_142319 1.jpg

20220421_183734.jpg

20220629_200053 1.jpg

12 hours ago, gtrfred said:

Rckeat- did you run new fuel lines in your boat?  How was that process?

I am thinking I will need to do that soon myself. 

I did.  I had a helper which made the process a lot easier.  Bought Shields A1-15 hose at PartsVu.com for $2/ft. (it was over $9/ft. at West Marine).  We used a flexible cable that we inserted into the 3/8" hose and secured it with Gorilla tape.  Used the old hose to pull it through and then pull the new hose through.

Hardest part was locating all stainless #6 clamps as everyone was out of them.

As far as the pickup tube, we used a readily available aluminum/plastic one, cut it off, and used the old stock pickup hose and screen from the original.  It was in good shape and had a stainless spring inside that ensured it would not collapse.  Just pulled that hose end off of the old tube and slid it onto the new one.

4 hours ago, rckeat said:

I did.  I had a helper which made the process a lot easier.  Bought Shields A1-15 hose at PartsVu.com for $2/ft. (it was over $9/ft. at West Marine).  We used a flexible cable that we inserted into the 3/8" hose and secured it with Gorilla tape.  Used the old hose to pull it through and then pull the new hose through.

Hardest part was locating all stainless #6 clamps as everyone was out of them.

As far as the pickup tube, we used a readily available aluminum/plastic one, cut it off, and used the old stock pickup hose and screen from the original.  It was in good shape and had a stainless spring inside that ensured it would not collapse.  Just pulled that hose end off of the old tube and slid it onto the new one.

Did you run new hoses to the vent and fuel fill?