Monster Snook, Redfish, Trout and SAWFISH Ohhhhh Myyyyy :)

So, I took my buds fishing yesterday to Chokoloskee yesterday.

Been a while since I"ve been on the water...

My Marco Bestie :) Coto and my great friend Mike who I've been fishing with for nearly 20 years.

On the water at 0615 we head out front to try the islands and look for an incoming bite.

We stopped at one of our double secret locations :) and we were working a shore line....Coto had been pounding the shore hard and on occasion got hung in the trees....

We move around a corner and Coto says, "Darn, I've stuck on a log"....about two seconds later, up comes a monster tail and he shouts...monster snook, move the boat around front !!!

So, I"m running the trolling motor and I position the boat so Coto could gently tug on the snook so it would come out from a branch.....it slowly swims out under the tree and finally realizes it's hook and then it's game on !!! 

2x's around the HPS, Coto walking the gunnels with the rod in hand, he runs to the stern and is laying on back deck with the rod straight down up to the reel as the fish is running under the motor - I had the Minkotta on spot lock....how Ilove it :) 

After a several runs....she comes aboard.....how big snook batman.....what a catch...Coto is shaking....

We gently get her out of the net and grab a tape on the gunnel....she was we'll over the 36" seasick ruler....

Well done.....

Gotta love that labourdor head :) 

1912471381_cotosnook.thumb.jpg.649fb6e81533ed5d64d58f65efbd1d69.jpg

1013345949_cotosnookmeasure.thumb.jpg.c882ff1d68463e5c27ddd5a2e27029c8.jpg

1375775820_cotobigsnook.thumb.jpg.2aa02705a5b4228893884b7723036c26.jpg

We head to a few other spots up in the bights......and hit a few nice reds.....

52536706_cotored.thumb.jpg.6822fd24960ab907447672840e509aaa.jpg1512003832_mikereds.thumb.jpg.0cea79f8fa14380bd85637e09c7948f7.jpg

At our last spot, I send out a ladyfish head and my St.Croix bends over.....and this dinosaur comes to the side....we got a picture and cut the line...

sawfish.jpg.318ae1b1f08b0b674f8ea5fbc2289e2b.jpg

A few minutes later....we don't know if it was the same one....I send out another lady fish head and another sawfish gets hooked.....this time, as it approaches the boat, it goes wide and starts doing a death roll and swings it's saw in the air and smashes the boat right the gunnels....and a nail size chip is now in need of repair....my St. Croix rod shatters....but, it's worth a good fish story....it was 20 years old  and served itself a lot of large feeesssh :)

a fins pic of the release.....

dc

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Coto said:

Definitely a great day! Big snook, multiple other snook, slot reds for all three, trout, snapper, jacks, bull sharks, and sawfish. Oh and let’s not forget that exceptional Blanton’s bourbon toast we had….smooth!

BTW,

While talking to Capt Don H on the cell telling him the story,  I walked to the HPS and measured from the 0" to where your fingers are on the gunnels holding the big gurl :) 

Right at 40".....well done !!!

Your in the club......

Epic....something we will talk about for quite a while...

dc

14 hours ago, Coto said:

Definitely a great day! Big snook, multiple other snook, slot reds for all three, trout, snapper, jacks, bull sharks, and sawfish. Oh and let’s not forget that exceptional Blanton’s bourbon toast we had….smooth!

Hope y'all didn't spill any of that!  Would have to re-name a point!

• Haha 1

Sounds like an awesome day Dino. Were you the black 23 that couldn't get off the trailer? I was there already in the water watching you. Heard you say "im caught on the step". Figured you left transom straps on. My Bayfisher slides right off the bunks. I got a few smaller snook, one keeper red and one trout. fished around lostamns. Off water just after those storms moved in. Did you guys have hot dogs out of your yeti canister with chili and mustard?

7 hours ago, masterfisher said:

Were you the black 23 that couldn't get off the trailer?

Yep.....no, didn't leave on the straps....only do that every once in a while when I figure one of my bud's have taken them off :) ...I find it does need a good bit of water to come off the trailer.....

No hotdogs this trip...my buddy Mike who was with us....gourmet sandwich maker :)

dc

• 4 weeks later...