Prop for Redfisher 16 with VF90 SHO

Redsdux

What is a good prop for a 2022 Redfisher 16 with VF90SHO?  Boat came with a Powertech SCD4 16 pitch.  It seems to need more pitch.  Turning 4,000RPM boat is doing about 20MPH.  I just want to see what others are running and what kind of performance you see.  Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

@Redsdux I just got to prop testing on my lappy bayfisher 16 with a SHO 90. 

3 Blade SCD 3 Blade 13" 17P

37 MPH @6000 RPM. 27 MPH @ 4700 RPM

Violent acceleration and hole shot. (On plane in one boat length with tabs down)

I am going to swap out with a 19p 3 blade and see how it goes. 

My old 2 stroke 90 had me going 41 MPH. I'm expecting to blow right past that with this motor. 

39 minutes ago, croakersmoker said:

@Redsdux I just got to prop testing on my lappy bayfisher 16 with a SHO 90. 

3 Blade SCD 3 Blade 13" 17P

37 MPH @6000 RPM. 27 MPH @ 4700 RPM

Violent acceleration and hole shot. (On plane in one boat length with tabs down)

I am going to swap out with a 19p 3 blade and see how it goes. 

My old 2 stroke 90 had me going 41 MPH. I'm expecting to blow right past that with this motor. 

Sounds like you're on the right track.  A 3-blade 19 pitch should work best.  I think the 21 pitch will be too much.

Here's a reasonably priced prop that provides lift, grip and great top-end speed:

https://www.deepblueyachtsupply.com/933419-ballistic-xhs-boat-propeller

I recommend the XHS II® (Drop-In Hub) Kit #203 for fitment with your Yamaha as well.

On 8/1/2022 at 2:03 PM, Redsdux said:

What is a good prop for a 2022 Redfisher 16 with VF90SHO?  Boat came with a Powertech SCD4 16 pitch.  It seems to need more pitch.  Turning 4,000RPM boat is doing about 20MPH.  I just want to see what others are running and what kind of performance you see.  Thanks!

Do you have a jack plate installed?  That could cause some additional prop slip if it was raised too high.

Here's the Yamaha Performance Bulletin for the same setup as yours:

https://yamahaoutboards.com/en-us/home/outboards/v-max-sho/in-line-4/vf90/pb_hws_16redfisher_vf90la_06122020_flt

Looks like an 18 pitch 3-blade prop could reach 44 mph at 6000 RPM on your rig.

Thanks for the info, guys.  My boat does not have a jack plate.  I'm now running a Solas Titan 4 blade 17pitch and have pretty good results.  With a heavy load, I'm hitting about 41MPH at 5900RPM.  Cruises at 27MPH turning 4300RPM.   Hole shot is really good.  I've gathered some good info on the Powertech NRS 3 blade 18pitch that I'm going to try next to gain a little faster cruise speed as I usually make longer runs.  Hopefully holeshot won't suffer too much.  

• Like 1