Live well problem

Vapor Trail

I've noticed occasionally on my 2600 TRS when I stick my hand in the live well for any reason the water might be flowing the wrong way and what I found was since there are two pumps working off of one inlet one pump will over power the other and draw water from it instead of it coming from the ocean since it's easier to draw water from straight across the tee instead 90'd down into the water.  I am planning on fixing this by installing an identical intake setup in the other blank location like it should have been done originally.  I'm kind of worried about making connections in that odd shaped hump.  Has anyone done this before?

Theoretically 2 pumps on one intake should work fine as long as theres enough volume to run the pumps at their rated GPH AND the plumbing to each is identical and not having one further away  etc.  X2 on pics and what size pumps are we talking here?   Provided the above is good Id make sure there isnt some blockage at the pickup

I can’t believe that Pathfinder rigs the baitwell and washdown that way without independent shutoff valves.  I have a 2500 and my fishing buddy just bought a 2300 and we both installed a tee on the input and  a separate ball valve to each pump.  So you can shutoff your livewell while using your washdown pump.

George, my 23 HPS was rigged the same way from the factory, center live well and saltwater washdown on the same "T". My problem was, when I catch fresh bait, I like to washdown the boat right away. But the plumbing was not big enough to provide enough water to both. So, I separated them and installed a separate thru-hull pickup for the washdown. 

Now, I can provide plenty of water to the fresh bait and washdown all I want with max. volume. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/25/2022 at 2:56 PM, SCFD rtrd. said:

George, my 23 HPS was rigged the same way from the factory, center live well and saltwater washdown on the same "T". My problem was, when I catch fresh bait, I like to washdown the boat right away. But the plumbing was not big enough to provide enough water to both. So, I separated them and installed a separate thru-hull pickup for the washdown. 

Now, I can provide plenty of water to the fresh bait and washdown all I want with max. volume. 

Mine may do the same, don't use the washdown unless its a total mess and that’s usually heading in bait well drained, usually stick the brush overboard and scrub a bit, I’ll try it next time out 

I apologize for the delay in responding. I installed a new thru-hull with a sea-cock toward the rear where there was plenty of room to work, about a foot behind the  cheese grader. That area is slightly higher than the bilge, but well below the water line when at rest or idling. I ran a hose from the sea-cock (shutoff) straight to the washdown pump. On my 2013 23hps, there is only one supply pipe coming from the cheese grader. That pipe supplies two livewells and the washdown pump, but is not capable of carrying the volume of water to supply two or three appliances at the same time.  Thus, the need for a second water supply in the form of a new thru-hull.  

• 2 months later...
On 11/25/2022 at 5:49 AM, Bamaskeet said:

I can’t believe that Pathfinder rigs the baitwell and washdown that way without independent shutoff valves.  I have a 2500 and my fishing buddy just bought a 2300 and we both installed a tee on the input and  a separate ball valve to each pump.  So you can shutoff your livewell while using your washdown pump.

Mine is rigged this way from the factory but it's no help if you're running two livewells.  One will pull from the other.  I don't use the salt water washdown ever, only the fresh water washdown so I don't have to shut the valve off.   It's been a mickey mouse circus dealing with MBG.  They won't deal with individuals so I have to pay shipping to the dealer and then pay shipping to me.  No one at a dealer ever knows anything about anything so after the third time talking to the parts guy and sending photos of exactly what I need the parts still come in wrong.  So now I'm paying more shipping.   They shouldn't force us to go through dealers for parts.  I mean you see a picture of a small oval cast cheese grater and you send a large sheet metal rectangle cheese grater while you have pictures, a description of the boat, and the hull ID?  

• 1 month later...