Best motor to repower a 2001 24 pathfinder

HugoGK

Hi I was hoping to get some advice on what is the best motor to repower a 01 24 pathfinder. The boat currently has a the original 225 saltwater series that weighs 475 lbs. With no jackplate, the boat already doesn’t really self bail and water comes in when someone gets on the boat and stands in the back. I know adding a 225 four stroke 25inch will be too much weight and will sit very low.  Has anyone tried going with a 20inch shaft with a jackplate? At the moment I am considering a 250 etec 25 inch shaft weighs 518 lbs but rather stick to a merc or Yamaha. Any suggestions would help. Thanks! 

8 hours ago, HugoGK said:

the boat already doesn’t really self bail and water comes in when someone gets on the boat and stands in the back.

google RABUDS....they are ping pong sized balls the fit over the scuppers and prevent (to about 95%) of the time, water entering from the drains.

They are made by DUSKY Marine in Dania...google it on this forum and there are several pics and post of DIY.

dc

I had a 2001 24’ with a 200 Yamaha 2 stroke.....replaced it with a F250 in 2008.....bad mistake, the extra weight totally changed the way the boat rode and obviously it sat lower in the rear. Yes, it would run about 55 mph @ 5800 rpm, however I would keep your new motor as light as possible. I should have did my homework, but too anxious to get the big 250. I ended up selling it later and now have a 22’ with a F 150 Yamaha and love the way it handles. Hope this helps.

Repowered a Stratos SP 2100 not the same boat as your 24’ with a Etec 175 and 4” set back jackplate, mistake!!! Boat rode heavy in the stern, considered putting Armstrong bracket but moved on to a 2300HPS, as suggested keep your repower engine as close to the weight of your current engine, I’ve see the Rabud Scuppers they provide relief on deck drains some water still gets in. Hope it helps