Incident News

George Seither

Sad news and troubling, this man and his 4year old son hit a submerged log, report attached, He was wearing the kill switch  (it worked) and a manual inflatable PFD ( Apparently he wasn't conscious to deploy it), he hit the water and could not be revived, I've worn manual inflatable PFD for many years flying in rotor craft offshore and never been fond of them, been thru water survival courses even got cocky and had the instructors roll me over in a simulated helicopter escape in a regular PDF and it sucked eggs, buoyancy is not your friend in these events , for boating my preference is still standard PFD's you hit the water and you float, no intervention or auto deploy required, just my preference, so the OCD in me I had to revalidate the safety gear in all of the boats was in good shape and up to date, If your preference is inflatable PFD's please do the maintenance on them. 

LDWF agents are investigating a fatal boating incident in Natchitoches Parish - Louisiana Sportsman

• 1 year later...