Swimming then getting back into the boat

Jconce

Before I bought my 23 HPS, I had a similar bay boat without a swim platform. I use a folding, 3 step ladder with Sheppard hooks for years. They are cheap and easy to use but require a large storage area. I would hook it over the gunnel, inline with the grab-rail on the center console. Easy in and out of the water. Or, you can order a swim platform with ladder from the factory, no storage needed and it's always there. 

Amazon.com: SeaSense Boat Ladder (3 Step) : Sports & Outdoors

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, GatorJ said:

Before going over the side, I turn the engine full left and trim it down.  That way I can use the engine cavitation plate as a helper step as I pull myself up using the poling platform framing

I'm thinking:  Extra sharp propeller blade, and fillet of foot...  😬

Unless someone has been filing the leading edge of their prop blades, they are not sharp enough to cut when engine stopped and in neutral.  The prop freewheels easily when in neutral.

Never had an injury or caused damage in 20 years getting in the boat by using the cavitation plate as a "step".

3 hours ago, GatorJ said:

Yeah, definitely need to explore a different way of getting back in the boat.

Out of curiosity, why is your prop sharpened?

With the drop in finish quality of most major brand props these days, including Mercury, Yamaha and BRP - I usually send my props to a professional prop shop and have them either balanced and reset to factory specs, or blueprinted.  The definition of blueprinting is:

Blueprinting refers to the process used to ensure the accuracy of the propeller rake angle, pitch, progression, pitch variation, and cup. This hand process involves thinning the blades and sharpening the leading edges.

The advantage of blueprinting is that it reduces the horsepower required to turn the propeller and generates more usable horsepower for thrust. On an accurate, well-built propeller the speed gain may be 2-3 miles per hour. On a lesser quality propeller, the increase may be 3-4 miles per hour.

On my Maverick I use a Ladder In A Bag. Don't think its still being made but this is similar. It's not easy to get back in but it does the job. You first have to secure it under the gunnell I hook it to the rod holder bracket.

Pactrade Marine Inflatable Boat Kayak Emergency 5-Step Orange Folding Ladder Sto Marine and RV Lighting & Accessories - Pactrade MarineTAGLINE

• 7 months later...
On 12/25/2022 at 12:42 PM, Jconce said:

Im the process of purchasing a new Hewes 16' Redfisher and will be snorkeling a lot with it. How are you guys getting back in the boat when in deep water. Just lifting yourselves onto the boat or using ladders or what? 

Thanks for the info

I'm not sure there is an easier boat to get into than a Redfisher. Haha. I always just pull myself up over the gunwhale. No problem!