3 Rods to take to The Glades

If you had to pick up 3 spinning rods to take into the Everglades for a camping trip, what are you taking?  I’m headed down late Feb and all of my gear is back up North.  Not planning on carrying down on plane or shipping. 

Thinking that I’ll need something to sling jig and plastics all day.  One that can throw some walkers and maybe a popping cork rod.  Looking for solid brand that is readily available in S. FL.  Good warranty is a plus but not deal breaker.  Good price point for leaving in FL with a relative for future trips.  I have some Star Rods that have been good and seem like a decent price.  

Falcon XG coastal   7'  or 7'6" or 8' your preference with Penn Battle 3  in 2500 or 3000.  all would have 10 pound Power Pro.  Will not break the bank and available at or through Bass Pro. They could have them shipped to store or home waiting for you.

I always keep Penn Battle 3  5000's with Penn's combo rod with 20 pound Power Pro for bay wreak and point fishing. Need something a bit bigger to deal with the Juvie Goliaths that are plentiful and smaller Tarpon, these are also my pitch rods for Mahi ocean side. Again, will not break the bank and very durable.

I do not target big Tarpon, if you plan to you may need a 7000 series.

If I had to pick for a trip and only three, I would bring my Falcon XG Coastal 8'  with its Penn Battle 3 3000. Great for plug casting, cork fishing and heavier Jigs.

Second would be Falcon XG Coastal 7' 6"  with its Penn Battle 3  2500. Its a bit lighter and perfect for fishing 1/4 oz to 3/8 jigs when searching shorelines.

Third would be my Penn Battle 3  5000 combo. The rod is not my favorite but it fills the need for something a little bigger.

I have taken many of very different skill levels to the everglades and All have been successful with these rod and reels.

These are what I use myself. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, THE OUTLAW said:

Vanford 1000 6 lb test

Vanford 2500 8 lb test

Vanford 2500 on a lil heavier rod  10 lb test .

Diawia J Braid

NLBN ‘s

🇺🇸🏴‍☠️

I'm into those NLBN's dude.  I have the 3 inch paddle tails in every color and also the 3 inch mini mullets.  

For reels, I like the 4000 / 5000 series reels.

Rods, light to medium action and fast action medium.  

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, George Seither said:

I'll keep this in mind when I make a bucket list trip to the glades, very similar to coastal fishing here in Louisiana, line appears to be a bit lighter than I use like 20/30 power pro and adjust fluorocarbon leader accordingly, I'm surprised no bait casters ? 

I like lighter line on spinning reels for the added distance and control, then adjust mono leaders accordingly like you mentioned. I do use a bait caster too when I really need to control distance. I use it a lot when I'm throwing top water lures near structure like mangroves. I also use a little heavier line on them.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, THE OUTLAW said:

Those are the ones I use .

I recalled reading that in another thread which is why I was looking at Star.  Love to do business with Sunshine Ace in Naples and everyone there points to Star as the go to in that $100 range as well.  Hard to beat $69.  I should have purchased a few more.  Sunshine is also pretty solid with St Croix.  I purchased an avid inshore there several years ago per their suggestion to sling artis in the glades all day.  Paid way more than I wanted but it's my favorite rod for the glades by a decent margin.  I've used several different rods.  Some high end and some bargain barrel brands.  Fish hit hard enough down there that sensitivity isn't the issue.  Gotta be comfortable in the hand and easy on the shoulder if casting all day.  

I am WAY to hard on my rods to pay that kind of money .

The reels , are different.

They should last , the rest of my life .

Wish the Stars were still made in 🇺🇸!

I have a full replacement of Stars . In my cave , on standby .

Cannot beat the price or BPS replacement.

The hardware store , in Naples, is worth the drive from FLL .

🇺🇸🏴‍☠️