Channel Markers in the ICW

TomVee

I got a boat over the summer, and I only got to take it out a few times before Ian hit. I want to take it out again, but I heard on the news (right after the storm) that many of the channel markers were missing. Does anyone know if they have been replaced? Is the intracoastal waterway safe for someone who isn't extremely familiar with the channel?

4 hours ago, Capt Obvious said:

Welcome aboard. 
Up here around Volusia County I recall seeing buoys placed where missing markers were within a couple weeks of the storm. That process may take longer in areas that had more damage like on the south west coast but I would bet any major channels have been marked by now. What area are you looking for? 

Thanks for your response. I am in North Port, between Sarasota and Fort Myers.

You are fine to run about anywhere there besides the bars. Beware of flats and any shallow water, expect to see tree branches sticking out of the water. Most are small enough they won't do any real damage, just give you a scare. If you have a basic GPS map you are pretty good to go if you stay out of the shallow stuff. No real changes that I have encountered and I've covered most of the harbor but I stay out of most marked channels.