Braid Thread - Been a While

Wanaflatsfish

I have tested, tested and tested braids.

For over all life span, casting, consistency and stealth I have ended up with Spider Wire Stealth in Moss Green.

Power pro is on the bottom of my list unless they have made changes to it. I disliked it because it appeared to get hairy and all of my inshore light tackle is spooled with ten pound test. If the line appearance looks compromised I change it.

10 pound test can't have bad spots in it. ;)

I have tested, tested and tested braids.

For over all life span, casting, consistency and stealth I have ended up with Spider Wire Stealth in Moss Green.

Power pro is on the bottom of my list unless they have made changes to it. I disliked it because it appeared to get hairy and all of my inshore light tackle is spooled with ten pound test. If the line appearance looks compromised I change it.

10 pound test can't have bad spots in it. ;)

Interesting Troy...

I had a really bad experience with Spiderwire

I bought 300 yards and spooled two reels....and on each one i had a catastrophic failure during fishing..

on fish strikes the line just broke mid-way...and this was on seperate reels...

I bought it at BPS and no Ebay stuff to be sure...

Interesting findings on your part..something for me to reconsider given your level of fishing time with it.

dc

Been using Sufix 832 #10 lb inshore for years with great success. Smooth, thin, strong, less wind knots then past pp although wind knots more function of angler, casting and reeling with slack before bail closed. Bridges and pilings I'll use #30 lb. Might try a spool of pp slick just to compare.

Been using Sufix 832 #10 lb inshore for years with great success. Smooth, thin, strong, less wind knots then past pp although wind knots more function of angler, casting and reeling with slack before bail closed. Bridges and pilings I'll use #30 lb. Might try a spool of pp slick just to compare.

i fish 100% 20# due to the oysterbars in Choko and nags where we fish....

and 30# on the chunk rod....

Normaly I'm 20# braid with 40 lb flouro for the leaders...

I tried 10# but found too many nicks would just easily break....even with the old PP..

dc

Went from pp to 832 not going back, it is smaller and softer.

this is what I've been reading on a few forums....Van Dam's blog had a nice review of 5-6 different braid lines...

he's pretty much saying the same...pros and cons of 832 vs PP hard to say absolutely yes or no..all depends on your useage and fishing style.

dc

Im a long time shimano fan and have used power pro almost exclusively. Ive had positive results using the regular power pro so nothing neg to really say other than what Troy mentioned it will fuzz up some. When the slick came out I loved it on all my inshore gear and never had an issue but I had a bunch of un explained breakoffs on my offshore gear so I quit using it... its garbage.

Early last year I wanted to go to a white colored braid as the high vis would really help out for the type of fishing I do. The only one readily available was Spiderwire invisi braid so I invested in spooling one reel with it and put it thru its paces. After a month of use I was impressed enough I invested considerable $ to change out all my gear to it and haven't looked back. Its great stuff super tough, quiet going thru the guides and holds up extremely well.

I tried spider wire invisibraid and it lasted 2 months before it started fuzziness up. Before that happened I did like it.

Now I'm back to 10lb power pro. I did have a spool of 40lb perform great and then all of a sudden take a crap and start breaking, but that was after several months of use in heavy cover, though I did pull the older line off the top. Unfortunately it decided to go bad during a tournament and cost me 2 fish.

Which line is better?

HAVE no idea but I can say that I have 2 Sustains, one on a 7'6" St. Croix MHF AVID & the other on a Fenwick MF Techna AV that were spooled with 20# PP 5 years ago :o and have never lost a fish to it's structure strength or design.

I flush the heck out of the rods and reels every time I get home and oil about every 3rd trip out.

When I notice it starts to get frayed I will cut off 4' and put a new leader on.

Use 30# mono leader on these setups and it's worked for me.

Only times I have lost a hooked fish is when I didn't tie it correctly or the fish headed for structure and I got cut off or it was a toothy critter that ended up biting through the mono.

PS,

The only time it has "Ever" gotten all tangled up is when I have hand one of the setups to the girls in the house.

Usually on first cast. :laugh:

Learned quickly and told them they only get 1 setup per outing and if they turned it into spaghetti ball, they either fixed it or called it quits for that trip.

Yes, I have repeatedly tried to show them a proper technic of casting to no avail. :confused:

• Like 1

• 3 years later...