Prop question for 26HPS

Drill2Fish

Hi everyone. I have not posted in a while. I recently sold my Pathfinder 2000 V after running it for 18 years and now have the 26 HPS with a 300 Yamaha. I absolutely loved the OFX 4 blade on the old 20 pathfinder. On that boat I think it improved everything - hole shot for sure and even top and speed.

so right now I’m getting 53 mph WOT @ 5800 rpm’s with the wind up my back (I have a tower). It struggles to get to 5800 RPM usually I see 5700. This is with the Yamaha 21 pitch three blade that came with the boat. Acceleration is good, hole shot is not bad- about 2 boat lengths. Should I go to a smaller pitch 4 blade OFX prop? Should I be seeing 6000 Rpm WOT? This boat will be carrying heavier loads for sure and more people.

16 hours ago, Drill2Fish said:

Should I be seeing 6000 Rpm WOT?

Yes you should try to get the RPMs up to the maximum of 6000 before you add more weight and load.  Your motor is working hard to spin that 21 pitch and push that tower.  Your prop slip percentage is at 20% which is high.  You need less pitch and better grip with added cup on a 3-blade, or a stock 4-blade.  The OFX4 seems like a good choice.  Marcus at PowerTech (Funky Monkey on this forum) would be the right guy to help you get it dialed in.

I wonder if anyone has tried this prop on the same type rig?

Revolution 4 (14.6 x 18") MERCURY RH Propeller, 48-8M0151319

https://www.boatpropellerwarehouse.com/product/194395/revolution-4-14-6-x-18-mercury-rh-propeller-48-8m0151319

Same pitch as the OFX4 18, but less diameter.  A high performance 4-blade with excellent grip and lift, that may spin up to 6000 RPM with a moderate load and gain 2 mph.

Just having fun estimating possibilities and plugging numbers into the prop slip calculator, lol:

https://www.go-fast.com/Knowledge-base/Find-your-prop-slip/Prop-slip-calculator

Cool calculator! 😃

Thanks geeviam for confirming what I was thinking. These numbers are with a half a tank of gas, about 50 gallons, a full live well, and my self on the boat only. The pitch is 19 not 21 and it’s a Yamaha Saltwater Series ll prop. The boat is on a lift and I had to get on my paddle board to get a good look at it. I bet this makes more sense to Hotpersuit (haha). How can I get in touch with funky monkey? 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hello everyone, just purchased a 2600 hps with a hard top. 4 batteries trolling motor full tank of gas, cooler full of drinks and ice 3 people on board, empty live wells I’m seeing 5600 rpm’s at 52 mph running a Q4 19 pitch. Fuel consumption is not bad but isn’t great neither. 40 mph 2.4/2.5 35 mph 3.1 wot 1.9 mpg.
does anybody runs a similar set up with a enertia eco 19 pitch? What numbers are you getting? Top speed? Efficiency?
thanks in advance. 

I settled on a rev 4 for my 2500 but did really like the perf of the ECO as well.  The REV really shines in rough water which im in alot but I do want to re test the ECO after figuring out running the JP lower helps in the rough as well.  Heres some prop testing #s Ive gathered, just me in the boat full livewell, full fuel and all fishing gear / coolers

prop #s.JPG

Thank you @FINCHASER, looking for a better economy since I’m planning on making long trips. Would love to see 40 mph at 3 mpg, only getting 2.4 and that was 2 people in board, empty live wells, cooler full bait 55 gallons left in the tank. Grip is good, hole  shot is ok, performance in rough water is great.only missing Economy. I’ll try the enertia and the sws sometime next week. 
thanks.

• 4 months later...
On 5/31/2023 at 3:15 PM, surveyingdawg said:

I've tried so many on my 2600 TRS and wound up with the stock 19 SWS. My fuel is 2.5 at best and I just calculate 2 mpg for safety. 

After trying several props, brav4 20 Pitch , Ofx4 19 pitch and lab finished, mercury rev 4 I realized there is no better prop for this boat than the standard Yamaha sws 15 1/4 x 19. Fuel burn is not the best but it has the best overall performance. Is fast, hope shot is incredible, acceleration is fantastic. 
You are right. 

• Like 1

Here’s a picture of the same trip almost 100 miles round trip in one day to fish in 110 ft of water in west central Florida comparing 17 pitch OFX and 18 pitch OFX 4 blade props. I also have a 19 pitch 3 blade saltwater series 2. The three blade gets the best mileage (mpg) and highest top end at 55 miles an hour (wot). I will be using 17 pitch in the winter time when I need a better whole shot (much better)because the water is lower in Tampa Bay. I always carry a spare prop in my boat because I have lost a blade on the water and turned my four blade into a three blade. You will know when this happens because the vibration will feel like your motor is going to fall off. Also carry a spare prop wrench, and practice, changing the prop on dry land before you attempt this on the field!

IMG_1058.jpeg

IMG_0987.jpeg