Satellite phones

SeaSerpent123

19 hours ago, THE OUTLAW said:

I have the SPOT.

My buddy has the In Reach.

Both pair , bluetooth, to your phone , and you can two way communicate with anyone .

We both use ours , all the time , and both work well .

🇺🇸🏴‍☠️

yes, they will...but, it does not have the ability to make a telephone call....

The only way you can quickly  make a direct communication is with a SAT Phone.

If you are going to play in the ENP and want to communicate with the USCG, FWC, friends, others is with a SAT Phone with pre-programmed numbers

As well, EVERYONE SHOULD BE CARRYING AN EPIRB....

If you break down, are late, etc. a hand SPOT or In Reach is fine (I have one).

But, say you hit an oyster bar at 30 mph, sheer off the lower unit and someone is thrown out of the boat or injured severely....you hit  pick up the SAT Phone and CALL..with your GPS coordinates and help will be on the way instantly with Choppers from above...

Yep, it costs about $50 a month...to me, part of the entry fee....do you need it? MOST LIKELY NEVER....but, when you do, you will wish you had one on the boat, car, or motorcycle.

I used the Sattellte Store...here is my plan and my phone...works perfectly...AS WELL, for HURRICANES....it is a definate plus when CELL TOWERS go down or you are in remote areas...you ride motorbikes as well....hmm...something bad happens, you have your SAT Phone

I test my SAT Phone everyweeked or ever trip whatever comes first.

And let's not forget....it's aways fun to call your BUD'S and tell them....hmmmmm at the secret spot, guess what I just caught :)

Here is my order..

1172249932_satphone.thumb.jpg.0fcfd58e84e47acc66f6d7b25da527bb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Good to here the In Reach and Spot both work well for texting, I've looked at both to add to the safety side of things, SAT phones for global communications at any given time are hard to beat I've used them from the rain forest of PNG to the west coast of Africa. On EPIRB I chose the PLB it travels with me on each trip hunting and fishing, only thing I'll add is a good VHF radio and antenna.

On 3/4/2023 at 5:29 PM, rubble said:

Our group used In- Reach the last couple of years and it seems to work fine.  Just have to have someone on the other end that is constantly monitoring in case of that SHTF moment.  

Again, I cannot stress....as an example, our friend Big Dave on the forum had a breakdown about 30 miles from Chokoloskee last year when he was solo camping.  His wife was frantically calling everyone on his call list....it took her several hours to find everyone on a Sunday....at the end, another forum member got the GPS location etc. but, it was phone tag trying to help....if you are injured or something "bad" happens, an In-Reach is NOT in my opinion what you need....the IN-REACH cost is about $25 a month, sat phone basic 10 min / month $40-45...no decision for me.

DC

Garmin In-Reach works great for communicating normal things like location, schedule and non-emergency updates (such as running out of fuel or mechanical breakdowns). I’ve used it for several years on the Chesapeake Bay in areas With no service and off-shore trips beyond cell range. It’ll leave bread crumbs for recipients to see your location. 

The other positive for Garmin In-Reach is that you can discontinue the monthly service in off months and save $$. 

That said, nothing take the place of a registered epirb. 

• Like 1