Trailer question

js

Need to replace my Magic Tilt trailer. Boat is a 2006 V2200, and the current trailer has four bunks, each a 2X6 laid "flat-wise". Many of the trailers I'm looking at have two large outer bunks, about 4X6, standing with the long dimension vertical, and then a couple of short flat bunks forward.

I'm accustomed to the four "flat" bunks I have...is there any advantage (or disadvantage) to switching to the the "tall" bunks?

I'm looking at Karavan and Continental, because that's what is available near me. Any experience with either brand?

you need the bunks to be where your stringers are near the stern where most of the weight is concentrated. not so critical near the bow. mine are flat, but when i redid the trailer i put another 2 x 4 vertical under the flat one and counter sunk the screws holding it to the flat one. my boat is in slings and the trailer sits in the sun most of the time and the bunks were warping and pulling the stock bolts(lag bolts) thru.

I don't know what your budget is, but Sport Trail down in Louisiana appears to be making the best trailer money can buy. They have the jig for your boat. When I get ready to replace my cheap Single axle Venture, I'm going with a Sport Trail. Send me your email address and I can send you some pictures and info that Sport Trail sent me.

I don't have ownership experience with the two brands you mentioned or where you are located but I, and many others here, can vouch for ROLLS AXLE trailers based in Plant City Florida. With the exception of the coupler, winch and jack, everything else is ALL aluminum and stainless, standard. I mean everything. The axle, their proprietary lifetime warranty spring, hubs, studs, hardware, etc. When I bought my last one in 2009, they were cheaper than loadmaster, continental, owens, ameritrail, and magic tilt all similarly equipped... and those still didn't have all the features the Rolls did.

When my Real Extreme wears out, the next will be from www.Rollsaxle.com, check them out.

Why reinvent the wheel. Ameratrail makes a welded bunk trailer that is factory fitted to a 2200V. They are a little pricey but you will be happy with your purchase down the road.

Ameratrail stands behind their product and they are helpful when you have an issue.

I have a 2013 AmerTrail and it's not all welded. The bunk brackets are welded, but the cross members are bolted. Did I get the cheap model?

Additionally, the carpeted bumpers on the inside of the fenders is the dumbest thing I've ever seen. The carpet and plywood hold water and corrode the fenders. I could go on and on, but doesn't serve any purpose now. I've fixed most ever thing myself.

It is a nice looking trailer and pulls good, but I won't buy another.

Why reinvent the wheel. Ameratrail makes a welded bunk trailer that is factory fitted to a 2200V. They are a little pricey but you will be happy with your purchase down the road.

Ameratrail stands behind their product and they are helpful when you have an issue.

Ameratrail is not all welded, and they don't even bother to isolate certain metals.

Sporttrail is all welded and I believe cheaper. My next boat will be sporttrail

Other good options are Owens and sons and rolls. I don't like the look of rolls trailers, but the quality is great

Although I've never had them, I personally, don't care for the idea of welded bunk supports.

I would rather have either the stainless u bolt set up I have on my trailer now or the aluminum bolted spacer set up utilized by Rolls (for adjustability).

Owens makes great trailers as well. My cousin has one under his Exuma 22 and swears by them. He just had them fab up an aluminum step system for the front of the trailer so he could load it solo and come off the front of the boat onto the trailer easily.

Need to replace my Magic Tilt trailer. Boat is a 2006 V2200, and the current trailer has four bunks, each a 2X6 laid "flat-wise". Many of the trailers I'm looking at have two large outer bunks, about 4X6, standing with the long dimension vertical, and then a couple of short flat bunks forward.

I'm accustomed to the four "flat" bunks I have...is there any advantage (or disadvantage) to switching to the the "tall" bunks?

I'm looking at Karavan and Continental, because that's what is available near me. Any experience with either brand?

What area do you live? Think Continental has an welded option that will have the lower style bunks.

Ameratrail is not all welded, and they don't even bother to isolate certain metals.

Sporttrail is all welded and I believe cheaper. My next boat will be sporttrail

Other good options are Owens and sons and rolls. I don't like the look of rolls trailers, but the quality is great

I was checking out the Sporttrail, never heard of them and I like the idea of all welded. However, I don't think I'm to keen on how they setup the cross members. The I beam is not designed to support weight like that setup, all the weight is on the edge of the beam. It looks like they try to compensate for this by adding more cross members. Also those long I beams flex and I wonder if it would lead to cracking of the welds.

All that said, it looks like a good trailer and I'm sure they have plenty on the road. So maybe all that is just over thinking....

Archived