2001 Redfisher 16 Repower Question

Hegg

Guys....my ole reliable '01 two-stroke 90 has bitten the dust and I'm looking to repower.  I've seen some threads with Bonefishers being repowered with Yami F70's.

Does anyone have any experience with repowering a Redfisher with a F70?  There is a slight difference in the hull weight (100 lbs??) so I'm curious about performance.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

I can't tell you first hand but I ran into a guy while fishing in Jupiter a few months ago that had just put a new Yamaha 70hp on his RF-16. He told me it was a little slower 4-5mph at WOT and slower to get on plane but was very happy with the fuel efficiency and it's draft. On the other side of that one day I was fishing the inlet along side another boat like ours except he had the 90 four stroke while I still have the original lighter two stroke. It was a rough day with a lot of traffic going through the inlet, he decided to get out of there because kept getting water over the transom from the larger boat wakes. With my lighter motor I never took a splash over the stern.  

May I ask what happened to your old two stroke that killed it?

Searing…. I am super particular about regular maintenance and service on my motors… and fresh water flushing after every use.  While flushing, I noticed some water dripping from underneath the bottom of the cowling.  Thought it was just a head gasket but Yami mechanic confirmed a crack in block that would expand when the motor heated up.  Really wish I could tell the hours on this one because she’s been a good one.  Just searching for some direction to get me back on the water again.

51 minutes ago, Hegg said:

Searing…. I am super particular about regular maintenance and service on my motors… and fresh water flushing after every use.  While flushing, I noticed some water dripping from underneath the bottom of the cowling.  Thought it was just a head gasket but Yami mechanic confirmed a crack in block that would expand when the motor heated up.  Really wish I could tell the hours on this one because she’s been a good one.  Just searching for some direction to get me back on the water again.

I'm sure that was a bummer.:(  I love this boat with the 90hp 2 stroke on it. I plan to keep this motor going as long as it will let me and fixable should problems arise. Just hope parts are available if it does. What prop and numbers did you get with it? Hopefully someone will chime in that has the F70 on theirs.

Thank you

Searing.....

Ok....Here's where I ended up.  I actually found a local prop shop with some great technical experience and history with PowerTech.  I went with a ported SCD 13D X 16P 4-blade with some cup added.  I also upgraded my GPS.  Ran the boat last Sunday on a fishing trip fully loaded out....full tank of fuel (30g), 2 adults and one child, ice chests, tackle, etc..... actually more junk than I prefer!!!

It ran 38 mph at 5600 RPMs under that load condition.  Grip is a lot better in turns....not perfect, but clearly better.  I'm happy and hopes this helps.....

George.....I make some pretty long runs, including some out into or across the open waters of the Gulf.  I'm not gonna lie.... I now have a confidence issue that I'm not sure a quick fix is going to address.  The motor is 22 years old and it has a lot of hours on it.  I have been super careful with it (or so I thought) and she's been super dependable. 

Not that I'm wanting to spend the money, but I think it just may be time.  I sure don't want to get stranded by a motor at the wrong place or time.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Hegg said:

Searing.....

Ok....Here's where I ended up.  I actually found a local prop shop with some great technical experience and history with PowerTech.  I went with a ported SCD 13D X 16P 4-blade with some cup added.  I also upgraded my GPS.  Ran the boat last Sunday on a fishing trip fully loaded out....full tank of fuel (30g), 2 adults and one child, ice chests, tackle, etc..... actually more junk than I prefer!!!

It ran 38 mph at 5600 RPMs under that load condition.  Grip is a lot better in turns....not perfect, but clearly better.  I'm happy and hopes this helps.....

Hegg,

Thank you for the info! Sounds pretty good though with the load you had. I'm sure getting on plane was better too. It's not the first time I've heard that prop mentioned. May have to look into one and give it a try. Are your bench seat hinges in good shape? I found a pretty accurate match for a replacement hinge. let me know if you do need them.

Thanks again