Prop Innovation Sharrow Marine

Currituck

Your prop, like mine, is now scrap metal. Check out Sharrowmarine.com

Highlights:

Puts boat on plane at very low RPMs. 

Mid 20% or greater fuel savings at cruise.

Greatly reduced motor noise.

Lows:

Expensive...start at $5k 🤔

Wait time for shipment.

Not available for outboards smaller than 150HP

Currituck

Mark,

I am trying to wrap my mind around in what way my post was impolite. 

I thought something different in an industry full of the same was fodder for discussion. 

As far as procuring a loaner prop… No, I cannot make that happen. Maybe someone more entrenched in the marine industry could.

Currituck

My take on the Sharrow FWIW...

Only a wealthy boater who needs to feed a spending habit will buy one at current prices.

How can a prop shop (I use them often) repair one and balance it, once it has been damaged?  I doubt a normal pitch block could be made for a Sharrow - maybe I'm wrong.

Is the fuel savings worth the extra coin?

Either the high price means Sharrow cannot mass produce enough of these with CNC to meet demand - or they are a bit greedy.  A more fair introductory price until the demand got too high would have been smarter in my book.  They have the Patent, for crying out loud!

1 hour ago, Currituck said:

Mark,

I am trying to wrap my mind around in what way my post was impolite. 

I thought something different in an industry full of the same was fodder for discussion. 

As far as procuring a loaner prop… No, I cannot make that happen. Maybe someone more entrenched in the marine industry could.

Currituck

I think he was being tongue in cheek with the comments, I think...

The obvious buyer is the high volume gas user. But I have a cohort that has a 2200 TRS with a 150hp Yamaha. He loves the setup except when he has 3 or more people onboard and the motor struggles to put the boat on plane. If as advertised the Sharrow prop will solve the problem at a much lower price than a motor upgrade.

I have an appreciation for a more quiet boat ride, better handling and fuel savings. I am not an early adopter but once things prove out I would pay the asking price. 

When pricing items or services successful businesses charge what the market can justify paying.

Currituck

Hey Currituck !

I didn’t say you were impolite.

I meant the discussions on other forums on the Sharrow props get impolite real fast. 
The props are high tech and are touted as more efficient and revolutionary (no pun intended.)  But, there is a lack of comparisons to Bay boats and skiffs which are efficiently propped. Some people who have these props say they aren’t able to discuss them due to some non-disclosure agreement. 

So, if there is reliable data out there that these props will help our members go faster, or get better economy at cruising speeds, or run shallower.. We would like to see it.

Has anybody here tried one out ??

MM

• Like 1

These Sharrow Props have been trying to catch on for about a decade. I signed on to be a test boat in 2013 and it never happened. I am pretty sure they realized early on the market would be on larger boats.  I think he has something with this design, but for boats with pairs or more. The first props were CNC. There was talk about trying to cast them. That was supposed to bring the cost down. Guess that did not happen. 

If I had a 25 plus twin or more I would want to give these consideration. When your boat cost hundreds of thousands of dollars what's ten grand for a pair of innovative props.

• Like 1

That’s a good summary ! All their boat tests were on 30’+ heavy hulls with twins.  It looks like they harness more of the torque at low RPM’s and get the hull out of the water faster. 
I don’t find any comparisons to bay or flats boats yet. 
MM

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I wonder if these props will show up on military craft? A submarine perhaps to take advantage of the greatly reduced prop tip cavitation that inhibits their being close to silent.

As for advancements in manufacturing reducing the work force by GEEVIAM two posts earlier. This has always been the case. From the turning plow by John Deere turning acres in a day instead of a week, to computer switching devices eliminating operators, to 3  dimensional CNC machines not needing operators or even lights. Not moving forward will be the beginning of the end for those companies that remain stagnate.

The Nobel winning economist Milton Friedman in the early 70s observed a massive Chinese workforce building a dam with shovels and wheel barrows. He asked the Chinese government guide why were they not using heavy equipment. The guide explained that this method created more jobs and improved the economy. Friedman replied then why not give them buckets and sharp sticks.

Currituck.

• Like 1