296 ice retention & extra fuel?

flatfoot

The 296 is on my short list. I am wondering if anyone has real world experience regarding the in floor fish boxes and the forward seating boxes.

I do Bahamas trips with 4 guys and others with two families on board. The 296 layout does not have provide for on deck cooler storage. How do the built in boxes hold ice? I need to keep a lot of drinks iced down for several days at a time in the Bahamian sun. I also need to carry a lot of ice for hopeful big tuna or wahoo.

Has anyone or mbc added a fuel cell to the in deck storage compartment forward of the console? My present ride carries 310g which is great to minimize time and cost at the Bahamian fuel docks.

Thanks

I don't know about the in deck storage ice retention. However, it wouldn't be a bad idea to bring the biggest cooler that would comfortably fit to store bags of ice. On the 296 you could store it all the way upfront between the seating in the bow, somewhere near the stern next to the gunnels or measure the floor space in the console and put a cooler in there. All are insulated, but like you are asking, how well will ice last in those compartments. Good luck.

• 4 weeks later...

Flatfoot, I have a 2015 296 and love it. I have made several long range trips 160mi round trip and fished consistent days. Depending on outside temp small cube ice will melt quickly in the in-deck boxes. I use large cube ice and bring frozen jugs for long trips and if I was doing a bahamas trip I would bring dry-ice and plan on a couple days max. FYI a Yeti 110 fits nicely where the fold down seat would go. Large dolphin, wahoo and AJ's fit nicely in the well. A 100+ lb tuna might require a bag (which I bring)

Archived