Boat soap for pathfinder

I answer you, Elo, and all the other new boaters here too !!

There are no stupid questions here. No need to apologize in advance when you ask a question that seems basic. 
We enjoy adding humor but don’t you fear the biting sarcasm that pervades the forums nowadays. We all asked the same questions when we spent real money on a nice boat.

I like soaping a boat with Orpine and the Woody wax wash.. Smells great cleaning up a fishy/bloody/baity boat. I hate the 35 bucks a quart tho. I sometimes buy the least expensive boat soaps. They work fine on the salt and fish slime without stripping wax. I have to get the Dawn for ramp grease on the deck and detailing around the motor. I avoid the magic erasers cuz they leave light scratching where you scrub with them.

If you have a new boat, The Orpine does clean the best and a quart lasts a long time.  We all have our cleaning and waxing regimens and the soap matters if you wax frequently.

MM 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Moderator said:

Hmmm !  If you don’t have an orbital polisher, I love Collinite Fleetwax 870.  It’s a great one-step wax that cleans and leaves a good shine. Easy to use by hand and works well.

For true wax I use the above

for synthetic wax I use Rejex.  
both are very good.  Rejex is a little easier to apply and remove.  

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2023 at 1:00 AM, Moderator said:

I answer you, Elo, and all the other new boaters here too !!

There are no stupid questions here. No need to apologize in advance when you ask a question that seems basic. 
We enjoy adding humor but don’t you fear the biting sarcasm that pervades the forums nowadays. We all asked the same questions when we spent real money on a nice boat.

I like soaping a boat with Orpine and the Woody wax wash.. Smells great cleaning up a fishy/bloody/baity boat. I hate the 35 bucks a quart tho. I sometimes buy the least expensive boat soaps. They work fine on the salt and fish slime without stripping wax. I have to get the Dawn for ramp grease on the deck and detailing around the motor. I avoid the magic erasers cuz they leave light scratching where you scrub with them.

If you have a new boat, The Orpine does clean the best and a quart lasts a long time.  We all have our cleaning and waxing regimens and the soap matters if you wax frequently.

MM 

Do you mix both the Orpine and Woody wax wash together? Which versions do you use? I noticed a couple different versions of each one are these the ones you use.(links below) I've been want to use something different than the Salt Away. I find it leaves spots. I noticed Amazon appears to sell both of them in different packaging for $25.00 for each of the two. Makes me question if it's the same.

Thank you

https://www.westmarine.com/woody-wax-ultra-pine-wash-wax-boat-soap-5472824.html?&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=PMax: GSC>Smart_Shopping>Boat Maintenance&gclid=Cj0KCQjw8qmhBhClARIsANAtboeFss8qB4PyYum75ZWV2jKdHO3xrzhYhfBDQT9wS3NPFco3qJM0vpsaAoGzEALw_wcB

https://www.westmarine.com/orpine-orpine-boat-soap-quart-3119930.html?&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=PMax: GSC>Smart_Shopping>Boat Maintenance&gclid=Cj0KCQjw8qmhBhClARIsANAtbofOfm8Aul0TCO4tTnPlOZAdTy5O2s356-vwv2yObAAtQxt3Nbzl_XwaAlRHEALw_wcB

15 minutes ago, searing said:

Do you mix both the Orpine and Woody wax wash together?

two different products and processes...

I use Orpine (cleaning) as well (I add a few slugs of bleach in the Orpine wax to get of any organic stains - leaves, blood, etc.)

For grease - yes, Dawn or I use Shurhold Degreaser for boats...works well.

Soft scrub with bleach works well on stuff that won't come off...

Woody wax is used to protect the non-skid.....follow the directions.  Get a seperate brush...a blue shurhold super soft brush works well.

Starbrite is very good for deck as well....for rust stains, Bar Keeper friend sells at grocery stores or Home Cheapo....

Lots of Youtube videos on how to use these products......

Just remember, DAWN will strip off the wax....

throw your remaining soap in your bilge when you are done and then wash it out after a few minutes.

DC

• Thanks 1

I always wash my boat with Turtle Wax car wash. Keeps the boat nice and shiny between waxing. for wax, I have always used Mequiar's cleaner wax. If you want a clean bilge, first clean with liberal amounts of Purple Power in a spray bottle. After your bilge is clean, a simple rinse after each trip out should keep it clean, or you can spray a few gallons of water in the bilge and add some dish soap before you take the boat out. The sloshing around during the day will clean places you could never reach and help keep mildew in check.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I to use turtle wax car wash, Have Max Power currently. I think it does just as good a job as the "Marine" or "Boat" soaps and I can use it on everything without going broke lol. The more I use it the easier the boat seems to come clean.

For buffing and waxing I use Shurhold Products. Bought their buffer kit years ago to keep tannic stains in check and was happy so stuck with it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Searing, I noticed you referenced "Saltaway". Not sure where you are using it, but I found that "white distilled vinegar" is great for removing salt deposits. It's cheap and works instantly. I use it straight (undeluded) but you might be able to mix with water and get the same results. I tried everything on the market for removing salt deposits and found that white distilled vinegar works the best. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SCFD rtrd. said:

Searing, I noticed you referenced "Saltaway". Not sure where you are using it, but I found that "white distilled vinegar" is great for removing salt deposits. It's cheap and works instantly. I use it straight (undeluded) but you might be able to mix with water and get the same results. I tried everything on the market for removing salt deposits and found that white distilled vinegar works the best. 

Same here.  I’ve even done engine flushes with it.  Much cheaper than salt away and I believe it performs better.  

On 3/21/2023 at 7:55 AM, Moderator said:

Yes !!!  Thanks, George !

It was the first StarBrite product I found that became excellent !!  The PTFE stuff.. 

What else do you guys use that works great ??

Roll Off, great product. Removes most everything including grease and scuff marks. Wet boat, spray on, let sit a few minutes brush lightly and rinse. 

On 3/22/2023 at 12:26 PM, Lap it Up said:

For true wax I use the above

for synthetic wax I use Rejex.  
both are very good.  Rejex is a little easier to apply and remove.  

Please be careful when using Rejex. Good product if instructions are followed. Had a detailer use it on my Vette. Did everything the instructions stated  not to do, direct sun, temp and humidity. Screwed the pooch on my paint job as per Rejex manuf.