2001 Maverick MA 18.5

lurem

I bought this boat 1.5 years ago and have been working on it with my friend to get it back into fishing form. It has been a uphill battle as the transom was cracked, wiring was shot and the list goes on when I purchased it from the owner.

I had the transom repaired, boat rewired as well as fixing all the livewell pumps (I am adding a front livewell just haven't installed it yet). Painted all the interior hatches and tubs with appliance paint, added new cables to the lids,  installed interlocking workout mats to the floors of all the compartments. Then came electronics and a I had a shorty windshield made.  Garmin 94sv, minn kota terrova 24v, 8' power pole, new helm with tilt steering, gauge faces refinished, amp with 4 speakers running off blue tooth, LNEX battery moniters and a Nocco battery charger. Talked with one of the guys at flounder pounder and had a new white switch panel made including new switches to replace the black one from the factory. Did a tune up on the 150 HPDI, painted the cowl and am running a Mercury Tempest or Evinrude Raker II prop depending on how I will be loaded for the day. 

There is plenty more that has been done but you get the idea. This is my second one of the 18.5's and it is a great flats boat for inshore fishing on the west coast of Florida.

20230409_143829.jpg

20230409_143953.jpg

20230409_144100.jpg

• Like 3

Your first one is being worked on and should be finished this week. New 24V Lithium for the Terrova, new gas tank( really could have repaired the old one), new gas struts, navigation lights.  Still has your original 150 HPDI with 500 hours.  Would love a new SHO but that will have to wait. Have to call your switch panel maker and see if i can fit it in the budget.

55565BF6-54F1-4385-95A4-541650EB7130.jpeg

• Like 2

Dale, great to see her looking so good!  I remember well the original pics and situation.  I also remember advising you strongly to run away from her.  If I had know then how meticulous and determined you are, I would have given the opposite advise.  

Thanks for saving one of these from the jaws of the junkyard. Hopefully you will keep her forever, but if not, you will pass along a well cared for classic with many years of life ahead of her.   

Oh, and her twin would love to see her sister if you ever bring her north!

893BF118-D4BB-471F-BA27-61BCFCA3C2B2.jpeg

E2E7B1C8-35F3-4358-A25E-81ED71490739.jpeg

• 1 year later...
19 hours ago, lurem said:

Gus,

When my boat grows up it wants to be as nice as yours my friend! haha

Hah - I think you might have me beat.   I just went back and looked at some of your other pics and now I have "Hatch envy" - you must have painted the inside of those hatch covers and the hatches themselves.   Mine are that awful yellow/brown plastic look - I am thinking it may be worth checking into painting them a nice baby blue.   That plus a new switch panel and MAYBE I'd have a boat as cool as yours!

I took off the weather stripping on the hatches, ( I had new stuff I bought) taped it off with blue painters tape, wiped everything down with Acetone and sprayed several light coats until I got it all covered. I painted the inner lids and the tubs inside.  I did not use any primer or sanding. I believe I used the appliance gloss/shiny white. Waited a couple days for it to dry well, installed the new weather stripping and it turned nice. I am not sure about other colors like the blue you mentioned. I have heard of people painting there livewell inside blue though.