Cross posted... need some advice/help on this

nigel

I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction.  

Hewes 1999 Redfisher.  Bow baitwell....I am 99.999999% sure that the drain hose has dislodged.  So here is the deal, I am taking on water.  Bilge cant keep up.  Thankfully I got back to shore, wasnt far out at all.  I stuck a water hose in the hull, cranked it up, bilge kicked on, no issue.  I got all the water out, did the same thing on the stern bait well.   Pulled the bait well plug and water drained underside the boat on the right hand side drain hole.  Did same thing on the port side live well (there is no live well on the starboard side), pulled the plug, water drained out just fine from behind the trim tab.  So... I then filled up the bow bait well, pulled the plug, no water drained out of the hull.  So I stuck a water hose in it and let it run, peeked in the stern pie hole and water was filling up in the hull.  I then took the water house and stuck it in the drain hole under the boat that I felt was the one that was tied to the bow bait well, and yet again, water appears to be filling up in the hull.  So I have come to the conclusion that the hose has come dislodge or is simply broken.  

How in the world can I fix this?  Who in the panhandle of Florida does such work?  Lastly if you didnt actually use that well ( I don't) would you consider just capping it off?

Thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

I am assuming it's a 21 ?   Can you take some pics ? this would assist in recommendations

19. Lappy. Not a lot to take pics of actually can’t access under the bait well.  Opened pie hole in back and here’s this shot. 

That drain hose comes from the bait well

33B43571-C097-4263-A029-C776BDECD7D1.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Moderator said:

So you can use the live well, but when you go to drain it, it goes in the hull ?

That’s correct. But the water FROM the well isn’t the issue.  It’s the water coming IN from the drain hole under the stern INTO the hull that’s the problem. 

I just left local fiberglass guys place.  We are just gonna seal that drain up.  

10 minutes ago, Lap it Up said:

That’s a drain in the pocket, correct?  If so, it’s more than likely a cracked thru hull.  Just need to replace the thru hull fitting and re-seal.  I wouldn’t glass it unless you plan on never using it again.  

These things are so hard to explain typuing lol.  The thru hulk isn’t the problem.  The hose attached to the thru hull has come apart somewhere under the center of the boat or directly under the bait well drain.  

Is there an inspection plate near the bow bait well ? Hoses are using double SS Hose clamps to secure the hose , there should be access to get to the clamps for tightening, I could be wrong on this see what you can find ( one clamp missing on rear thru hull in photo ) you may want to remove front well hose in photo and plug it for now with short hose and a plug as a quick fix. Long term valve all thru hulls so if it occurs again you can shut them off if another hose fails 

hope it helps

58 minutes ago, nigel said:

These things are so hard to explain typuing lol.  The thru hulk isn’t the problem.  The hose attached to the thru hull has come apart somewhere under the center of the boat or directly under the bait well drain.  

Gotcha,  like George said… look for an access plate somewhere.  It may be in another compartment.  If there isn’t one, mark where you think the drain may be and make one.  You can use a nice clean pie hole to clean it all up once done.  Even if you put the pie hole in the well, I’ve seen that before for power pole / latter mounting on other boats.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, George Seither said:

Is there an inspection plate near the bow bait well ? Hoses are using double SS Hose clamps to secure the hose , there should be access to get to the clamps for tightening, I could be wrong on this see what you can find ( one clamp missing on rear thru hull in photo ) you may want to remove front well hose in photo and plug it for now with short hose and a plug as a quick fix. Long term valve all thru hulls so if it occurs again you can shut them off if another hose fails 

hope it helps

Two clamps on both hoses in the stern area.  (One appears to be missing, I had unscrewed it before I took the pic). No access whatsoever to the hoses on the other end. 

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, nigel said:

19. Lappy. Not a lot to take pics of actually can’t access under the bait well.  Opened pie hole in back and here’s this shot.

Nigel,

I've been around for a while here....almost 20 years...and I don't remember a 19 Lappy with a forward bait well....I know I'm becoming old and feeble....but, I would assume it's not a factory install....or I could be 100% incorrect....what I was referring to regarding pics was the bait well in the bow...you should be able to cut an access panel in the forward deck wall and access it easily...

DC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

Nigel,

I've been around for a while here....almost 20 years...and I don't remember a 19 Lappy with a forward bait well....I know I'm becoming old and feeble....but, I would assume it's not a factory install....or I could be 100% incorrect....what I was referring to regarding pics was the bait well in the bow...you should be able to cut an access panel in the forward deck wall and access it easily...

DC

image.thumb.jpeg.3506ab83a12ac4f78b1452e56f1ce990.jpeg
well lol…it’s there. 
this last pic isn’t my boat but same year. 

BF98AD9D-2E93-40FB-885F-1FF7E6C16BDC.png

624ECABB-B046-4AAE-AABC-7527613EAC5B.png