Fishing Tampa Bay is getting dangerous !

Davej

On Saturday, a friend and I decided to fish down around Joe Island and Bishops Harbor. Fishing was pretty much pointless there, so we decided to make a run to Miguel Bay and hit a bunch of spots we know are holding fish. About 30 yards from the small Skyway Bridge on the south end, and just about to come off plane, (I never run on plane under bridges) my buddy starts screaming for me to hit the brakes. He's grabbing at his leg, and says something hit him! I was thinking it was a small bird, or some sort of wasp, because it was stinging him pretty bad. As he stood up, a 1 ounce egg sinker fell out of his shorts, right by his right leg. Yes, someone, fishing from the side by the bridge, threw it at us. When you see the pic attached, you'll realize how dangerous this could have been. If it would have hit one of us on the face or head, we would have been in the hospital. Obviously, none of the 10 plus people on either the North or South side confessed. We weren't breaking any laws! We weren't cutting across anyone's lines, and we weren't planning on running on plane through the bridge. After dealing with the issue, we did go on to catch some fish, and returned back through the bridge to head home (with a little bit of lead of our own to let fly if need be) with no issues, but what a day. I've been fishing Tampa Bay for 60 years, and the lack of class that people show for other anglers continues to get worse in that area. Be careful running under that bridge!

Leg.jpg

• Sad 2

I am so sorry this happened. I fished Saturday and Sunday and went from Cockroach bay under that same bridge to Miquel bay both days. I would have never thought about having someone chunk a egg sinker at me or anything for that matter . I will be on alert from now on though. I am sorry about your friend.

My buddy finally sucked it up and went to the doctor because his leg got worse. Turned out to be a bad hematoma that will just take time to heal. Fishing Englewood/Boca Grande this weekend, so I don't expect any issues down there. 

Thanks for the well wishes for my fishing partner.

That's awful - sorry it happened to you guys.  That would be the last time I idle under a bridge with people above.  After something like that, I'd stay on plane and be a harder target to hit.  If Marine Patrol stopped me, I'd show him/her that photo and explain why.  Just me - but the lack of good parenting, morality, manners, honor, respect, and law & order lately, calls for some pushback.

Edited by geeviam
edit
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Man that ***. I’ve had my own run-ins with bridge fishermen who claimed I was too close to their lines as I was attempting to cast net bait. I always give bridge and pier anglers plenty of distance and respect but they can sometimes be an unruly bunch. They also use sling shots to fire lead at boats - I’ve seen it. I’ve also had a few warnings over the years in the form of: “Don’t make us have to break out the lead…”, etc. 

27 minutes ago, pondfisher said:

Man that ***. I’ve had my own run-ins with bridge fishermen who claimed I was too close to their lines as I was attempting to cast net bait. I always give bridge and pier anglers plenty of distance and respect but they can sometimes be an unruly bunch. They also use sling shots to fire lead at boats - I’ve seen it. I’ve also had a few warnings over the years in the form of: “Don’t make us have to break out the lead…”, etc. 

My Bro-In-Law's PVC Spud Gun and a can of hairspray would be good for a laugh when the bridge-fishers get unruly.  Seagulls would probably eat the spent ammunition, LOL.

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

if this happens, immediately contact local law enforcement or FWC as it is considered the offense of hurling a deadly missile with an enhancement of aggravated battery with a deadly weapon, both 2nd Degree felonies in Florida. When I was a Sergeant many years ago, this would be serious enough to ensure I sent zone deputies to respond asap and a follow up investigation conducted. Since I am not a cop anymore, at minimum, somebody would have toted a few bruised ribs before I left...but then again, I'm a jackass...lol. Glad it wasn't more serious. Years ago, in Destin, I saw a jet skier lose an eye from a hand full of 1/4 ounce drop shots hurled at him from a guy in a flats boat who was pissed that the jetskier was hounding him. Both lives pretty much ruined.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Happened to me about a month ago coming in with my family through Blind Pass in Treasure Island.  The pass forces boat traffic towards the south end of the pass and closer to the rocks.  We thought we hit something until we saw the mark of the egg sinker on our hull side.  If it would've struck one of our kids in the face may have killed them.  

I now have one person looking at the jetty while we come in.  If I ever see someone doing it, I would beach the boat and happily go to jail.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the late response. Been busy lately and haven't been on the forum. I've been under the bridge quite a few times since the issue we had back in April. Happy to report that I haven't had anything else thrown at me, so I assume it was just one bad apple in the bunch.