Console tackle/access hatch

HewesYourDaddy

I'm strongly considering adding a tackle hatch on the front side of my console.  I've seen a few around that may or may not have been factory installed (they were smaller than ones I've seen located behind the console backrest cushion). Can any of you provide picture and dimensions of some console hatches so that I can get an idea of what I may want? I plan on using it mostly for access to the back of the GPS unit and switch panel.

Boat is on lift at condo, so no pics or dimensions. But, I have installed a couple over the years. If your intent is to use it for access to the console, install the biggest box that your back rest will cover. The back rest will need to have hinges installed on the bottom and a latch on top. Try to install everything so that the back rest sits on the cooler lid when open. This takes the stress off the hinges. 

The tackle boxes I'm familiar with have two options with regard to boxes and selves. Some have tackle trays that slide out, like a kitchen drawer.  Others have shelves that you sit removable tackle trays on. 

Put some gasket material around the permitter of the tackle box to keep water out of the console. 

Good luck, send some pics of the project. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SCFD rtrd. said:

Boat is on lift at condo, so no pics or dimensions. But, I have installed a couple over the years. If your intent is to use it for access to the console, install the biggest box that your back rest will cover. The back rest will need to have hinges installed on the bottom and a latch on top. Try to install everything so that the back rest sits on the cooler lid when open. This takes the stress off the hinges. 

The tackle boxes I'm familiar with have two options with regard to boxes and selves. Some have tackle trays that slide out, like a kitchen drawer.  Others have shelves that you sit removable tackle trays on. 

Put some gasket material around the permitter of the tackle box to keep water out of the console. 

Good luck, send some pics of the project. 

I do not have a console backrest cushion. It is just bare fiberglass. I rarely have anyone on the boat that sits forward of the console.

I added one some time ago.  I got the original unit from Cabelas.  The door was crap so I changed it.  Then I decided that it saw hinged the wrong way so 

i changed it again.  The final version is with the cushion and the pliers on the inside of the door.  The top cushion is original to the boat just moved up.

DSC_0004.jpeg

DSC_0002.jpeg

DSC_0004 (1).jpeg

DSC_0017.jpeg

DSC_0026.jpeg

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Chief5130 said:

I added one some time ago.  I got the original unit from Cabelas.  The door was crap so I changed it.  Then I decided that it saw hinged the wrong way so 

i changed it again.  The final version is with the cushion and the pliers on the inside of the door.  The top cushion is original to the boat just moved up.

DSC_0004.jpeg

DSC_0002.jpeg

DSC_0004 (1).jpeg

DSC_0017.jpeg

DSC_0026.jpeg

Very nice. Do you have any dimensions of that specific hatch, and how easy it to remove the inner tray shelves?

11 hours ago, HewesYourDaddy said:

Very nice. Do you have any dimensions of that specific hatch, and how easy it to remove the inner tray shelves?

I remove all of the screws around the frame and take the whole unit out.  There are 10-24 NC machine screws into SS Tee Nuts that hold it in place.  With a power screwdriver it takes about 3 minutes.  Except for the inner case and cushion I made all of it.  The one with the cushion and the pliers on the inside is the current version.

• Like 1

No water into the trays.  I do get some water (very little) in the bottom of the frame, but only when I wash the boat down and spray it directly with the hose, never from rain or boat spray.  I just open it and pull the bottom tray and wipe it down.   I think it is one of the best things I have added to the boat and provides excellent access into the console.  

For access the next best thing I did was taking out the OEM door into the console and putting in a much wider one.

New Door 043A.jpeg

New Door 037.jpeg

• Like 3