HPX-18 Gave me a rude intro to fueling

17macae

I read the fueling threads. I'm level in the garage and can't get but 15 gallons in.  I did my usual siphoning from 5 gallon cans and walked away -mistake.

Heard liquid spilling. What's the trick to getting it full.  I need the weight up front since she is hard to control.

Update - 

Turns out the fuel sender was set to yamaha instead of ABYC on the yamaha 6YC gauges.  This messed up the scale on the fuel gauge causing it to indicate much less fuel. I reset the sender to ABYC and did a multiport calibration and seems fine now.

I drained the tank from the fuel/water filter outlet and then performed the multi point cal for a 29 gallon tank.  It only held 26 gallons so the calibration is a little off.  I guess the 3 gallons remaining in the tank is unusable.   The fuel gauge on my boat can not be removed.  You can wiggle most if it out but the doughnut will not fit out the tank.  I still managed to verify that it was working properly. 

As a temporary fix and experiment, I would take a look at the fuel tank vent hose and see what it would take (section of additional hose, barbed couplings, hose clamps) to remove the carbon canister, which is probably saturated with fuel and clogged, and bypass it by joining the hose ends that were connected to each end of it.  Then make sure there is a hump or raised section or loop in the vent hose, with no sag or dip in it, so no fuel or sea water will settle in the hose and block air flow.  The rise or hump in the vent line will also keep water from entering the outside vent and reaching the fuel tank.

See if that helps you fill-up the tank a little easier.  It should also allow your fuel system to breathe better, and may even provide you with some better throttle response.

It's possible this temporary fix will work so well, you'll have to think about it for a long time before you put it back together the way it was before.  Carbon Canisters are often, if not always, a problem on flats boats with the fuel tank mounted in the bow at cockpit-floor level instead of below the cockpit-floor level.

Hope this helps.

Here's a diagram of a proper (fully compliant) fuel system setup, just for reference.  My 2016 Redfisher 16 had the carbon canister installed, but no spitback valve on the vent line connection at the tank, so fuel was splashing up the vent hose and saturated the pellets in carbon canister, and fuel was leaking out the overboard vent in my garage.  If the carbon in the canister gets wet with fuel, it no longer works as intended - it's ruined.

CC Fuel System.JPG

It looks like there are two vent lines.  One for the tank fill and one that goes to the carbon can. The tank fill is about 3" above the tank and the fuel fill line is on top mid tank - not much elevation.

The carbon can has one inlet and one outlet.  If I disconnect the inlet, then the carbon can is out of the picture?  I tried that and the fuel does not flow. I'm quite sure the fuel fill vent line has fuel in it.

I have to use the borescope to see in there so I may be missing something.

10 minutes ago, 17macae said:

It looks like there are two vent lines.  One for the tank fill and one that goes to the carbon can. The tank fill is about 3" above the tank and the fuel fill line is on top mid tank - not much elevation.

The carbon can has one inlet and one outlet.  If I disconnect the inlet, then the carbon can is out of the picture?  I tried that and the fuel does not flow. I'm quite sure the fuel fill vent line has fuel in it.

I have to use the borescope to see in there so I may be missing something.

3" of space for the fuel fill line is not much for slope.  You are probably right - there is a blockage somewhere that's not allowing proper ventilation, and/or a "safety" valve is stopping the flow of fuel-fill.  Even if you disconnected the inlet on the carbon canister, there could be fuel laying in a dip in the hose somewhere.  I don't know - just throwing out ideas on what to look for.

On 4/24/2023 at 6:31 PM, 17macae said:

Maybe the fuel gauge is off.  I guess I will have to drain it or run it empty.

Does anybody know how much fuel is in the tank when the "last bar blinks"?

On my old MA17 it was about 6 gallons.

Todd

I know what I"m about to say.....SUC$S, but, try when you are fueling to take the ball off the trailer and lift the bow up as high as practical.  This will insure that the vent will have some opportunity to vent air during the filling.  When I replaced my tank in my MASTER ANGLER 17, the tank was just a bit lower in the bow than original; therefore, I could not get it to fill without doing the above.....was it a PIA, yes !!! but it takes maybe 3 minutes to unlock it and put it right back down on the ball....so, it was not big deal....try this and see if it helps....don't trust the blinking lights unless you are carrying a few extra gallons of gas, and I'm a true believer of NEVER getting too close to empty. Best of success in your challenge.

My thoughts....

dc

I once had a boat that filled great on the water and filled great with the bow slightly up at a gas station.  It didn’t like filling if the station was declined and the nose was down.  I used specific stations and specific pumps that had a slight grade that left the bow up.  All lines, including vent were clear.  It was just the attitude of the boat on trailer.