2018 hpx-v 18 console/floor flex

subtraction

Hello. My dad recently purchased a 2018 hpx-v 18. We had it out the past few days and I noticed the sealant around the bottom perimeter of the console separating.

If you put force on the console grab bar (not anywhere near an excessive amount in my opinion) you can visibly see the floor flexing with the console both port and starboard side. Eyeballing it I’d say it will move up/down approximately 1/8” each direction.

I’m seriously considering scraping off all sealant/adhesive and sanding 2-3” up the console and another 2-3” on the floor. Adding a large fillet of thickened epoxy and laying a strip of 1708 biax tape around the perimeter of the console. To help reduce/hopefully eliminate any floor flex and keep water from seeping up underneath.

Anyone else notice this? Does my proposed solution seem viable? Any unforeseen issue this may cause that I’m not thinking of?

Thanks!

I would say, based upon my experience, The sealant is NOT holding the console .

There should be a series of screws inside the console that might need to be retapped and / or tightened.

The other option would be to lay a couples of strips of fiberglass inside the console...would be a bit of work to take out batteries etc. and  once you tighten it down to the inside or use an L bracket.

then, apply the sealant.

dC

doubt  this fix will solve the flexing issue.  The floor is flexing  and you would have to find a way to support it from below. ie putting support under the floor. somehow.  I don't your boat,but my HPX V 15fter has a L shaped  aluminum  metal piece on both sides of the console bolted to the side and floor  which keeps it solid.  Maybe check if you have the same thing and it has come lose.

Sanded an 8.25” long section on each side of the console going out and up 2.5”.

The spot where the floor visibly flexed the most was paper thin glass under the gelcoat…..

Large fillet with West System Six10 and 2x layers of 1708 on top. Checked it out this morning and it seems to have resulted in a massive improvement! No more floor flexing. If I get some good temp/humidity levels for gelcoat should have it done by the weekend. Time will tell but so far seems like a viable solution if anyone else encounters this problem.

Thanks!

F4801893-597D-4CF3-9DD8-579D5E6F1408.thumb.jpeg.315b008e54c05fa691ddae289a230442.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Almost got this project wrapped up. Need to match up some gelcoat for the floor/non skid area. But I have taken it out a few times as is and….

Console is rock solid now! Floor doesn’t flex in any more either. Thus far I’d say this is a viable solution to this problem if anyone else is experiencing this and stumbles upon this thread.

Thanks for your input Polliwog and Wanaflatsfish

BDA7AD04-D6A0-44DC-BED5-C59941067304.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...