Got The Red Book - 6 Pack Captain's Credentials

Wanaflatsfish

Something I have always wanted to achieve in my life....

credentials1.thumb.jpg.427a1b8bd68ae66cd3693a1d9a0493f7.jpg

This took almost a full year to due many circumstances.

Started back in April 2022...I enrolled in SEA SCHOOL here in FLL

I was 1/2 way through the class and I caught COVID so I had to reschedule into the next series of classes...this delayed me about 4 weeks..

Finally finished the course work and then sat for the exams.

I completed two per day with about 2-3 weeks between exams.

SEA SCHOOL has a very good program and I spent a lot of time on YOUTUBE for the extra support on CHARTING.

Next you have to get your TWIC Card..your physical, drug test, fill out the application, etc. etc....it takes time to gather everything..

Then you send in the application for SEA SCHOOL to review...and then they send it to the USCG....then wait 8 weeks....and it finally arrived yesterday....

Next Steps...

1.) Obtain 6 Pack Charter Insurance

2.) Get my WEBSITE Up and running...I don't plan on a lot of fishing charters, but, more photography charters and flying drones (I am a CFR 107 FAA drone pilot as well )

3.) Obtain a permit to work in ENP - yes, I know, no drone in the park :)

I have taken 4 months off from work as a sabbatical and will go back to consulting and/or a full time job in Procurement...

Oh, and maybe do some fishing :)

Here's some pics of me and my daughter at NOVA library where we would rent a room and study...she was studying for her 4th Master's...go figure...over achiever :) and me with charts and Questions...

chart.thumb.jpg.3ffdd03ae24563ea5f61cbb2e975a4d7.jpg

The Charting is the hardest exam, as you can only miss one question, and when you are trying to find a point in the Long Island Sound, if you are off by a pencil lead, you are wrong...I spent hours and hours going over set and drift and all the other questions...end result - 100%...

I spent hours and hours in the early morning with my coffee and dogs reviewing question after question....here I am with my helper :)

lucyhelper.thumb.jpg.89c48cf4fcbc58fd82df76ef94b4c79f.jpg

Studying  the aids to navigation....

aids.thumb.jpg.b6b2d5741679fff9b68b97b7fcb462bc.jpg

Overall a great learning experience.....

DC

Good for you congratulations. Always nice to check something off of a bucket list .We spend a major part of our life doing things we have to do for our jobs and for others .When you can get something done that you always wanted to achieve that is fantastic . Enjoy life we cant slow down time and when you reach retirement age it feels like time went from cruise to WOT over night . Way to go . If you are still working or retired its time to do things that make you happy . Enjoy every day you have on this earth again congratulations on your accomplishment. 

Congratulations.  One of those 'things' I too just always wanted to do.  Actually charting part of test was the easiest for me - when I was maybe 15 with my parents at local HS took 'Chapmans Boating Course'.  Just couldn't get deviation / variation no matter how much I studied.  Fast forward almost 50 years (omg!) sitting in class with Capt Chris Adams (Adams Sea School) and as he is explaining charting I had this Eureka moment and it all made sense!  Took the charting section first and 100%.    The rest is mostly memory testing and some might be useful (offshore seeing lights of barges under tow is a good thing).  And while it's now expired (I chose not to renew) my red MMC is still a prized possession in my desk.   

Congratulations!  

On 5/4/2023 at 5:37 AM, johnd said:

Congratulations.  One of those 'things' I too just always wanted to do.  Actually charting part of test was the easiest for me - when I was maybe 15 with my parents at local HS took 'Chapmans Boating Course'.  Just couldn't get deviation / variation no matter how much I studied.  Fast forward almost 50 years (omg!) sitting in class with Capt Chris Adams (Adams Sea School) and as he is explaining charting I had this Eureka moment and it all made sense!  Took the charting section first and 100%.    The rest is mostly memory testing and some might be useful (offshore seeing lights of barges under tow is a good thing).  And while it's now expired (I chose not to renew) my red MMC is still a prized possession in my desk.   

Congratulations!  

I needed to sit quietly and review the charting...the YOUTUBE videos were a good reinforcement to the class.  I had good instructor here in FLL....Capt John Vitale...a bit of a character, but, gave us a bunch of memory aids....

What I did when studying was to do every test question in the book over and over until finish the entire 180 questions in 60 minutes..over and over with a 90% or better result....they ask the same question 3-4 different ways....

I've been boating since I have had a drivers license...my main take away was safety, fire extinguishers lights at night, and rules of the road...

I"ve been talking with a few captains and they said delivering vessels for repair is a nice way to make a few $$$....I don't have the experience on the larger vessels, but, I can easily handle a center console with twins...

My main business will be photo tours and drone photography outside of the Everglades National Park...I'm also a CFR 107 FAA drone pilot.

DC