transom saver or kick stand for 2013 Pathfinder 22 TRS with jack plate

I have a 2013 Pathfinder 22 TRS with jack plate on the transom.  I purchased the boat used so there is a lot for me to learn.  The boat came with a transom saver which allows me to put the stress from the weight of the lower portion of the motor on the trailer.  However, I have a 225 HP Evinrude e-tech motor and the motor has a kick-stand.  So my question is if I should use the transom saver to protect the hydraulic lift for the motor?  Or, is using the kickstand on the motor fine enough?  Any information would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.   

I have never seen the "kick stand" on the E-Tec  but I can tell you what I have used since Buying my 2012 2200 TRS new. 

I run the 10" inch setback Atlas Jack Plate all the way up, I trim the Yamaha 200 SHO up I and place the https://m-ywedge.com/ on the trim ram. I run the Motor T & T down until the ywedge is tight  and then I run the Atlas Jack Plate down to 3 inches (half way) so it has good support. I also put steering stabilizers on to keep the motor straight ahead. These keep the motor tilted high enough to keep the motor skeg safe and removes any pressure from the T & T and Steering. 

https://www.partsvu.com/m-y-wedge-transom-saver-outboard-engine-trailering-support-outboard-steering-stabilizer-clip-kits-m-yc123-fits-3-ram-trim-and-tilt.html

I would use the Trailer attached Transom Saver over the "Kick Stand"  I had a trailer attached transom saver  on my Bass Boat and never had any problems.

• Like 1

I do neither. I run the jack plate up far enough for clearance from the road (higher than the trailer axle) and trim the motor down so that it is nearly vertical. This puts the least amount of load on the transom. This creates a smaller (or less) moment arm - "The greater the length of the moment arm, the more load will be delivered to the joint axis via leverage." This applies to any motor trimmed up, whether using a transom saver or the "kickstand".   The ideal situation is trailering with engine straight up and down (vertical) as possible.

• Like 1

I wish some of the manufacturers of these devices would supply some data as to their effectiveness. 

The traditional transom saver bracing against the trailer seems like a good idea, unless the boat moves relative to the trailer or the trailer has a lot of flex. It could potentially put a worse load into the transom, just do not know.

The my wedge also seems like a good idea, but unless it is at a good balance point with the engine does it really do a good job?

Using the jack plate to hold the engine up during trailering is something that the jack plate manufacturers say not to do. Using the little kickstand while trailering is also something the engine manufacturers say not to do, yet people keep advising others to do both of these.

• Like 1