Lappy Bayfisher 16 Setback to fit Hyd Steering

croakersmoker

When I repowered my 97 Bayfisher 16, I intended to add hydraulic steering. I quickly learned that the splash well doesn't fit the guide arms of a typical baystar system. I have been using the link steering since and its time to replace it. I wanted to see if anyone has used a jack plate or setback plate to get the hydraulic steering to fit. I'm slightly concerned about shifting the weight of the engine back, as some have expressed it will add more draft. Curious to see how much of a real effect a 6" setback would have. I typically fish with two people on the bow, so my deepest point is usually under the fuel tank. Additionally, how does the boat react to trimming of a jackplate? Are there any benefits, or does it just blow out when you start raising the engine?   

I have a 16' Bonefisher with a jackplate with 4" setback. 4" is not enough to clear the hydraulic steering issue. I recently changed from the original 90 2-stroke to a 90SHO and was worried about the added weight, but I'm pleasantly surprised that it doesn't seem like it even changed anything (other than reliability, noise, fuel efficiency....). I purchased the 2" spacers from Bob's Machine but haven't put them on yet. For now, I just need to be aware of the height of the motor before using the tilt/ trim. The motor has to be raised about 2" before I can fully tilt the engine (for sandbars or trailering) or the steering hits the transom.

As far as performance, having a jackplate allows me to navigate shallower water both on plane and at idle. There is a definite performance advantage to getting as much of the lower unit out of the water as possible. At full throttle, I get at least 3-4 more mph by raising the motor to just before cavitation. Using the tilt/ trim I get another 1 mph or so.