Good evening all!!!! 

After a few months chasing this fuel-starving issue where the boat basically turns off at WOT, I have finally figured out/fixed the issue!! 

I had started at the fuel tank. Thinking this could be an issue with the ASV or a cracked pickup tube. Luckily, I couldn't get those items off, so, I decided to stop and use a 3-gallon auxiliary tank. Sure enough, even with the aux tank, the problem still persisted. Going through a schematic for my 2017 DF140, I ordered both filters for the high-pressure fuel pump, that sits w/in the VST. Today, I went to work and opened up the VST. Suzuki does not make getting to this part easy. It resided between the intake manifold and the block, so, getting to it requires removing the following parts: upper air cowling, fuel rail, various hoses/connectors, throttle/tranny linkage. Once all this is off, you then have to remove the VST from the manifold and open the unit up via the 6 screws around its parameter. Everything came off very easy, nothing was seized. Once the unit is opened, the first filter is visibly attached to the bottom of the high pressure fuel pump. once removed, simply pull the pump loose and pull a plastic grommet after that and your second filter will come out. As you can see in the pics, these 2 filters were chocked full of black, who-knows-what! No wonder at WOT, my motor was choking! I replaced these 2 filters, the regular fuel filter (why not) and a conical filter screen that resides w/in what looks to be a vent tube that hangs just off the throttle body. Two new gaskets (1 for the manifold and 1 for the VST) and total parts cost came to under $100. This was my first time ever doing this and it took me 1.5 hrs. Grant it, I have experience working on cars but to think how much $$$$ I just saved diagnosing, purchasing and doing the labor myself is unreal. Anyway, thank you to all that helped and gave their recs. I really appreciate it! Below are some photos of the work. As you can see, the 2 old filters were completely black! This is a 2017 Suzuki DF140 with about 160hrs. I never use ethanol gas either. Previous owner used ethanol gas but said he would use stabilizer in it. I also have a water separator too. Crazy how this kind of build up of crap can happen. I'd love to know your thoughts on what/why/how this happens, so I can prevent in the future. 

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image4.jpeg

image5.jpeg

image6.jpeg

image7.jpeg

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Bamaskeet said:

Actually, if you had been running ethanol fuel, you might not have had that problem because ethanol fuel tends to clean the fuel system.

I’ve had good luck with ethanol fuel, but I buy fuel at busy service stations and run my boat 200 hours a year.

Interesting. I would say I put on about 30 hrs a year only. But I start her up every weekend and let the motor come up to temp. Any additives I can add to tank? I try and keep it full as much as possible. 

Had to lay the boat up for 18/24 months a while back for elderly parent care. Had Stabil Marine in it, pulled 50 gal of fuel from the boat just didn't trust it. Since service /reactivation no issues. I'm sure other members have other products they use.

Hope it helps

Stabil Red 24 months fuel storage.

Stabil Marine 12 Months Fuel Storage removes moisture and prevents corrosion.

Seafoam Marine similar to Stabil marine but 24 months fuel storage life.