HAS ANYONE BEEN BOARDED AND QUESTIONED ABOUT KILL SWITCH CORD ATTACHED BY FWC OR USCG?

Wanaflatsfish

• Wanaflatsfish changed the title to HAS ANYONE BEEN BOARDED AND QUESTIONED ABOUT KILL SWITCH CORD ATTACHED BY FWC OR USCG?
4 hours ago, Wanaflatsfish said:

Just curios....

I purchased the FIRST MATE system that attaches to my belt and should I fall over (or anyone who has one on them) the engine will stop.

I have not been stopped since I installed my system...curious about others....

DC

You were stopped in the past?

3 minutes ago, George Seither said:

Louisiana waters they watch for lanyards attached to operator and yes they stop you and do vessel safety checks citation for non compliance items way to many people incidences on our waters, first mate system , I’ll read up on it

Here is the link....took about 1 1/2 hours to install....I bought 3 FOBS

• Thanks 1

I have been wearing mine but have not been stopped . I dont attach it until I leave the dock because  I have walked forward to hold the boat  and killed the motor a time or two . From what I understand I dont have to have in on at low and idle speeds .  Is that true ? 

There is a State Statute reference  "Cutoff" switches, but the statue reads a bit strange. It indicates that a cutoff switch must be  attached to the operator "in the instruction of a water sport or activity."

There is a Federal Law that indicates the following, but I see some variations to the definitions. Some reviews indicate all navigable waters and some say federal waters. I also see that some reviews indicate vessels prior to 2020 and with enclosed cabins are exempt.  But they all appear to indicate all powered boats 26 feet and less with over 3 horse power. I haven't located the actual Federal Statue.

The last section that is in a red font was copied and pasted directly from the US Coast Guard site. The Florida State Statue was copied and pasted directly from the most recent Florida Law Site. 

Florida State Statue 327.50 Vessel safety regulations; equipment and lighting requirements.

(1)(a) The owner and operator of every vessel on the waters of this state shall carry, store, maintain, and use safety equipment in accordance with current United States Coast Guard safety equipment requirements as specified in the Code of Federal Regulations, unless expressly exempted by the commission.
(b) A person may not operate a vessel less than 26 feet in length on the waters of this state unless every person under 6 years of age on board the vessel is wearing a personal flotation device currently approved by the United States Coast Guard and used in accordance with the United States Coast Guard approval label while such vessel is underway. For the purpose of this section, “underway” means at all times except when a vessel is anchored, moored, made fast to the shore, or aground.
(2) No person shall operate a vessel on the waters of this state unless said vessel is equipped with properly serviceable lights and shapes required by the navigation rules.
(3) The use of sirens or flashing, occulting, or revolving lights on any vessel is prohibited, except as expressly provided in the navigation rules or annexes thereto.
(4) The operator of a vessel used in the instruction of a water sport or activity must use an engine cutoff switch and wear an operative link to the switch when a person participating in the water sport or activity is in the water.

The Following is from the US Coast Guard Site: 

On April 1, 2021 a new federal law goes into effect that requires the operator of a boat with an installed Engine Cut-Off Switch (ECOS) to use the ECOS link. The link is usually a coiled bungee cord lanyard clipped onto the operator's person, Personal Floatation Device (PFD) or clothing and the other end attached to the cut-off switch, but there are plenty of variations on the market, including electronic wireless devices.  The law applies on all "Navigable Waters of the US".

When an operator is wearing a link while underway, the engine will cut-off if the operator is separated from the operating area, an occurrence that can happen if the operator is ejected from the vessel or falls within the vessel.  The shutdown of the engine is essential for safety reasons.  If the operator is ejected from the vessel, the shutdown may prevent the operator from impacting the vessel's spinning propeller, and may aid the operator in safely returning to the drifting vessel.

The law applies to "Covered Recreational vessels" which means any motorized boat with 3 or more horsepower that is less than 26 feet in length and takes effect on April 1, 2021.

Operator Requirement: An individual operating a covered recreational vessel shall use an engine cut-off switch link while operating on plane or above displacement speed.

An earlier law, passed by congress in 2018, required manufactures to install an Emergency Engine Cut-Off Switch (ECOS). The law passed on December 4th 2018, and went into effect 1 year later. Even though it is now a law, most U.S. boat manufacturers have voluntarily installed an ECOS on their boats for decades.

The terms Engine Cut-Off Switch (ECOS) and Engine/Propulsion Cut-Off Devices are used interchangeably to denote a system that disables the propulsion engine when the operator is unexpectedly displaced from the vessel.

I did some additional research and edited my previous response. The last section that is in a red font was copied and pasted directly from the US Coast Guard site. The Florida State Statue was copied and pasted directly from the most recent Florida Law Site. 

MOD2 Bubba

• Thanks 1

Here is the Federal Law for Cutoff Switches. Copied and pasted directly from the federal law site:

46 U.S. Code § 4312 - Engine cut-off switches

prev | next
(a)Installation Requirement.—
A manufacturer, distributor, or dealer that installs propulsion machinery and associated starting controls on a covered recreational vessel shall equip such vessel with an engine cut-off switch and engine cut-off switch link that meet American Boat and Yacht Council Standard A–33, as in effect on the date of the enactment of the Frank LoBiondo Coast Guard Authorization Act of 2018 (Public Law 115–282).
(b)Use Requirement.—
(1)In general.—
An individual operating a covered recreational vessel shall use an engine cut-off switch link while operating on plane or above displacement speed.
(2)Exceptions.—The requirement under paragraph (1) shall not apply if—
(A)
the main helm of the covered vessel is installed within an enclosed cabin; or
(B)
the vessel does not have an engine cut-off switch and is not required to have one under subsection (a).
(c)Education on Cut-off Switches.—
The Commandant of the Coast Guard, through the National Boating Safety Advisory Committee established under section 15105, may initiate a boating safety program on the use and benefits of cut-off switches for recreational vessels.
(d)Availability of Standard for Inspection.—
(1)In general.—Not later than 90 days after the date of the enactment of this section, the Commandant shall transmit American Boat and Yacht Council Standard A–33, as in effect on the date of enactment of the Frank LoBiondo Coast Guard Authorization Act of 2018 (Public Law 115–282), to—
(A)
the Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure of the House of Representatives;
(B)
the Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation of the Senate; and
(C)
the Coast Guard Office of Design and Engineering Standards; and
(D)
the National Archives and Records Administration.
(2)Availability.—
The standard submitted under paragraph (1) shall be kept on file and available for public inspection at such Coast Guard office and the National Archives and Records Administration.
(e)Definitions.—In this section:
(1)Covered recreational vessel.—The term “covered recreational vessel” means a recreational vessel that is—
(A)
less than 26 feet overall in length; and
(B)
capable of developing 115 pounds or more of static thrust.
(2)Dealer.—
The term “dealer” means any person who is engaged in the sale and distribution of recreational vessels or associated equipment to purchasers whom the seller in good faith believes to be purchasing any such vessel or associated equipment for purposes other than resale.
(3)Distributor.—
The term “distributor” means any person engaged in the sale and distribution of recreational vessels and associated equipment for the purposes of resale.
(4)Manufacturer.—
The term “equipment manufacturer” means any person engaged in the manufacture, construction, or assembly of recreational vessels or associated equipment, or the importation of recreational vessels into the United States for subsequent sale.
(5)Propulsion machinery.—
The term “propulsion machinery” means a self-contained propulsion system, and includes, but is not limited to, inboard engines, outboard motors, and sterndrive engines.
(6)Static thrust.—
The term “static thrust” means the forward or backwards thrust developed by propulsion machinery while stationary.
(Added Pub. L. 115–282, title V, § 503(a), Dec. 4, 2018, 132 Stat. 4270; amended Pub. L. 116–283, div. G, title LVXXXIII [LXXXIII], § 8316(a), title LVXXXV [LXXXV], § 8507(a)(2), Jan. 1, 2021, 134 Stat. 4699, 4752.)

When I first moved into my neighborhood, there were at least three different agency's boats anchored.. a single male, coming in offshore was a good item to check.  Not once can I recall a conversation about the shut off switch, but that boat may have reached 26' overall.. mainly.. I had safety gear, a license, I did catch fish, and nothing else was picked up along the way back in...

Had  an old friend tell me a story about being ejected once from his smaller flats boat.. mostly calm day, rouge wave and he was in the water.

now with my 18', mostly running alone and sometimes after sundown...I ditched that non uv resistant cheap red chord and replaced it with a SUP coiled 10' ankle strap... no more wrapping cord up on steering wheel and I would say worn 99.9% of time and moved up to the best auto inflate jacket I could find. 

• Like 1