2003 16 REDFISHER hydraulic steering addition

THE OUTLAW

Been wanting to add the Baystar , to , my sled for years.

It is the last piece of my boats punch list .

I have heard about having to notch the splashwell etc .

Has anyone, with the older 16 , added the steering and were there any mods that had to be done ?

Thanks in advance .

🇺🇸🏴‍☠️

Do you have a jack plate ? I had a 2003 RedFisher with a TLRB 115 2 smoker and installed sea star hydraulic steering on it . The BMS jack plate set back gave me clearance because it set back further and everything cleared . You are running a VF 115 4 stroke and I am not sute if you have a jackplate . 

5 hours ago, THE OUTLAW said:

Been wanting to add the Baystar , to , my sled for years.

It is the last piece of my boats punch list .

I have heard about having to notch the splashwell etc .

Has anyone, with the older 16 , added the steering and were there any mods that had to be done ?

Thanks in advance .

🇺🇸🏴‍☠️

Hydraulic Steering is on my want to do list too. I'll definitely be following this thread since I'm pretty sure my 2000 Bayfisher 16 has the same splash well as your 2003 Redfisher. :) 

I've already done some research and spoke to a few people and it appears that there are no clearance issues. Certainly no notching needed at the port and starboard sides of the splashwell.  Only issue I seen one person had was with a 90hp 2 stroke which I have on mine.  He couldn't tilt his motor all the way to the horizontal position. He ended up cutting the front portion of the motor's hook steering bracket that extends forward of the hydraulic cylinder's mounting point. You can find that post in the "Yamaha 90HP Outboard Owners" on Facebook. This issue was on a Keywest 1720 boat though.

The biggest thing I've been trying to learn or decide is which Helm I want to go with. I'd like to keep the distance from console face to steering wheel as close to stock as I can. With the standard Baystar helm it looks like it would be right at 4" which is nearly double. I'd also love to learn what the right length hoses will be needed since I want good ones made in advance. 

Dennis