Scuppers below water after repower. Solutions?

croakersmoker

I repowered my bayfisher 16 with a four stroke 90 last year and the added weight has my scuppers slightly below the water level. I have avoided leaving the boat in the water overnight since then. I have a trip coming up that will require me to leave her in the water for two nights. Before the repower, I would just leave the plugs out and let the deck drain overboard. Now it seams that I can do this, I will just constantly have an inch or two of water in the cockpit. I want to avoid having saltwater constantly in the boat. I like the way my boat is balanced, so I don't want to go moving batteries around. I have thought of a few solutions and am looking for input:

1) Pipe my scuppers to a 90 degree joint, thus raising them roughly an inch to avoid water flowing into the cockpit. I would think if rainwater gathered in the cockpit, after It goes over the joint, it would drain.

2) Drill holes in the cockpit gutter to allow rainwater to fall into the bilge and get pumped overboard. I would keep the scuppers plugged.

3) Get a cheap auto bilge pump and set it in the cockpit and rig the flow overboard, wire it on alligator clips. Rig it up after a day of fishing before bed and keep the scupper plugs in.

If there are any solutions I am not thinking of, let me know! Thanks in advance!

50 minutes ago, croakersmoker said:

1) Pipe my scuppers to a 90 degree joint, thus raising them roughly an inch to avoid water flowing into the cockpit. I would think if rainwater gathered in the cockpit, after It goes over the joint, it would drain...too complex 

2) Drill holes in the cockpit gutter to allow rainwater to fall into the bilge and get pumped overboard. I would keep the scuppers plugged...most likely will get caught in the foam and not drain. 

3) Get a cheap auto bilge pump and set it in the cockpit and rig the flow overboard, wire it on alligator clips. Rig it up after a day of fishing before bed and keep the scupper plugs in....might work

If there are any solutions I am not thinking of, let me know! Thanks in advance!

Comments....

My solution...if you are only worried about a few trips a year where it sits over night....go to home cheap and buy 4 (40 lb) bags of sand and place them on the bow to lift the stern up to allow the scuppers to be above the water line....

dc

• Like 2

22 hours ago, croakersmoker said:

We will be camping at an island chain 20 miles offshore, and I will be bringing surplus fuel and camping equipment. I don't want to add the weight of sand bags. 

Borrow stuff from other boats to put on the bow and raise the scuppers....the boat is designed to self bail....if you are brining coolers, fuel, etc...it should be enough weight to lift the stern after you take out all your weight from under the seat....

The "bilge" inside the gunnels is a something you might want to do no matter what.

I have seen (over the past 20 years of fishing Chokoloskee), boats sunk at the dock due to failed bilge pumps or clogged scuppers....it's amazing how much water will fill the inside of your skiff when it's pouring for 2-3 hours straight.

The water will fill the inside of the deck and then go into the console and down the chase....any chance your bilge is not 100% and you underwater....

I"m all for plugs when you are in the boat and you are under power.....but, bad things can happen at night or even during the day....the Idea of the 90 degree pipe could also be a disaster if you are into a heavy rain...you are mostly considering water entering when at rest....consider the rain....

DC

• Like 1