Chokoloskee First timer

you should be "OK"...depending on the tides

1.) The FMT has tracks out of Outdoor resorts which is one of the main ramps.....I suggest you do not run the Turner as it can get skinny in Mudbay.

The entrance to the LOPEZ can also take you out to the front..I normally run the S curve...

2.) The Lopez has a very very short and sharp turn when you are running to the back...be cautious..same with the "S" curve out in front of the oyster bars 

My suggestion is to decide if you are going to fish the front or the back and the follow someone out.

Both the Chatham and the Houston rivers have a few very very shallow black line spots on low tides....becareful and watch your tides....if you are going to head to the back from the entrances or return to the front from the back.

You can also go over to the Rod and Gun and launch there and go up the Barron River or if you decide to head north it saves about 15-20 minutes of run time vs Chokoloskee.

The FMT is pretty accurate....but, keep a watchful eye on the water patterns....don't just watch the red line :)

Fish points and look for clean water and signs of bait...

The Top Spots maps are a good place to start....Areas off New Turkey Key and Clam Point hold trout on the grass flats....the front of Pavillion is very rock but will hold fish as well as the passes North of Pavillion hold trout....

Good luck in your adventures....

DC

• Like 1

23 hours ago, shasson said:

Any tips on what bait is down there this time of year or if sight fishing with the Fly rod is possible

If you want sight fishing....you'll need to pole up into the bights behind all the major keys....Wood, Bird, Turkey, Clam, Jack Daniels, etc...the water gets super skinny FAST....if you have an EAST wind, it will race out with the wind.....

Suggest getting a guide to learn if you have the inkling....

DC

This is an impromptu trip. I figured most guides would have been booked. Tide look to be low in the am and late afternoon and high mid day

thank you very much for the info Wanaflatsfish. 

we will probably just poke around and explore  for the most part. 

any suggestions on guides ?

On 5/12/2023 at 10:20 AM, Wanaflatsfish said:

you should be "OK"...depending on the tides

1.) The FMT has tracks out of Outdoor resorts which is one of the main ramps.....I suggest you do not run the Turner as it can get skinny in Mudbay.

The entrance to the LOPEZ can also take you out to the front..I normally run the S curve...

2.) The Lopez has a very very short and sharp turn when you are running to the back...be cautious..same with the "S" curve out in front of the oyster bars 

My suggestion is to decide if you are going to fish the front or the back and the follow someone out.

Both the Chatham and the Houston rivers have a few very very shallow black line spots on low tides....becareful and watch your tides....if you are going to head to the back from the entrances or return to the front from the back.

You can also go over to the Rod and Gun and launch there and go up the Barron River or if you decide to head north it saves about 15-20 minutes of run time vs Chokoloskee.

The FMT is pretty accurate....but, keep a watchful eye on the water patterns....don't just watch the red line :)

Fish points and look for clean water and signs of bait...

The Top Spots maps are a good place to start....Areas off New Turkey Key and Clam Point hold trout on the grass flats....the front of Pavillion is very rock but will hold fish as well as the passes North of Pavillion hold trout....

Good luck in your adventures....

DC

Is spot on! Tides are a huge factor there. I’d like to add that if your in any stagnant water keep it moving. Points should be your key focus!

On 5/13/2023 at 10:32 PM, shasson said:

This is an impromptu trip. I figured most guides would have been booked. Tide look to be low in the am and late afternoon and high mid day

thank you very much for the info Wanaflatsfish. 

we will probably just poke around and explore  for the most part. 

any suggestions on guides ?

The guys and gals over at Everglades bait and tackle are great! Also, look up Derrick Daffin. Phenomenal guide who’s a true born and bred local, great guy that will put you on the fish!

• 2 weeks later...