Weird Trim Issue - New Motor

dcathey

I haven’t had time to start troubleshooting but yesterday I noticed my trim to my new 250 sho would not work at helm or on engine when ignition was off. I turn key and it works but what’s odd is immediately after key is off it will work for a little while. Any clues as to where I need to look first, this one has me stumped.

*Sidenote, I just did a lot of console work by taking out all agm trolling motor batteries and putting in a lithium troller and new agm crank. Prior to that there was no issue. I just don’t know what would cause the trim to not work when off intermittently 

Intermittent connectivity can be caused by corrosion or loose wiring or wire connectors. When the switch is used, the bad connection causes the wiring and connectors to heat up. As they heat up, they swell up and make a temporary connection. When the wiring or wire connectors cool off, they shrink and loose the electrical connection. 

I did have the trim relay on the motor fail on my SHO.  It was intermittent and happened at the throttle control and at the motor, but I can not remember the ignition being on or off making any difference.

I would check throttle control connections in the console first. 

Just wire wheeled all connections to battery. Literally nothing else is effected. Trim is strong and works perfectly when running and for about 10-15 seconds after ignition is turned off. Got about 15 hours on this engine 😆 

note: I have checked fuse, I knew it was fine. I do have a second station and that throws some other variables but I just don’t get where the break is when key is off 

Find this relay check voltage on red terminal with meter key off, switch battery isolation switch on and off power should cycle with switch, if you choose to energize relay at the relay I strongly suggest a power probe  I don’t like arcing threaded termination! This would validate the relay operation at the engine. look in console towards engine shift control and see if a harness plug with green and light blue is unplugged or partially unplugged, same from second station plugs should be the same colors.  Fuse 7 should be a 20 amp for trim and tilt that you checked
Hope it helps

Thanks George, I will work through that this afternoon and report back. I did look at all harness’s and connections in console. All seem tight. I lightly twisted and worked them while trimming engine to see if something was lose. Didn’t find anything