Boat Cradle Corrosion

Headhunter

A little help please. We have platform welded to the boats cradle to fill the space between the dock and boat. Aluminum frame with 2x8 pressure treated lumber on top with rug on top of that. The maverick is in for service so I decided to replace the 2x8s. The 2x8 were attached to the frame with stainless deck screws. Over the last 8 years corrosion from dissimilar metals took its toll. I am thinking of going back with aluminum screws but is there another alternate?

Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks guys for the invaluable information. My local bolt guy had the Xylan bolts so I'll give them a try. Which, I looked at the lumber link and determined that is not the case here. The corrosion itself on the aluminum channel was circular in shape with the screw  in the middle of the circle. Boat will be home tomorrow so its time to get to work.

• Like 1

I would never attach any treated wood to bare aluminum. Just look at any all aluminum trailer where they attach treated bunks to the trailer. The treated wood will eat up the aluminum bunk stands in one or two years. My best guess is that the old bolts acted like an antidote and accepted most of the electrolysis. I would always place an 1/8" of rubber or plastic between any treated wood and aluminum. 

2 hours ago, SCFD rtrd. said:

I would never attach any treated wood to bare aluminum. Just look at any all aluminum trailer where they attach treated bunks to the trailer. The treated wood will eat up the aluminum bunk stands in one or two years. My best guess is that the old bolts acted like an antidote and accepted most of the electrolysis. I would always place an 1/8" of rubber or plastic between any treated wood and aluminum. 

I agree, My trailer built in 2012 was before they were putting a plastics insulator between the bunk stand and the wood, The aluminum area that contacted the wood was eaten away. I put plastic insulators on top of the bunk stands and stopped the erosion. 

Curious to see some pics of your lift and platform as I’ve thought about doing the same. My MA is lift kept about 9 months of the year and it’d be nice to be able to get around to the outsides for service/cleaning. Any thoughts on how much weight the platform added?  Not sure my lift will handle the boat, me and all of those 2x8’s (plus aluminum frames)