Need idea for a shut off valve for live well drain

I have a 1997 Hewes Bayfisher and I would like to install some kind of ball valve / shutoff valve for the live well drain line which is the the bright black hose 1 5/8 od seen in picture 1 that exits into this outlet below the water line in the transom seen in picture 2.  Picture 2 outlet has a flapper valve that does not a little water from getting into the live well.  I am looking to basically shut off the water from coming into live well when the boat is in the water so I can use the live well for dry storeage.  Any ideas are appreciated.

thank,

IMG_1896.jpg

IMG_1897.jpg

Inexpensive (but still safe and reliable if not in a freeze zone) way to go is to use pvc ball value, threaded  and get two threaded inserts with barded ends. You are most likely a 1 1/2".  
I had an older 16' flats boat that I did for all below waterline hoses.

Also, should that thru hull have a rubber flapper on it?  Looks to be one of the mfg that has two inserts, one rubber gasket backing and one rubber stamped flapper that will cover hole and prevent back flow.

On 5/19/2023 at 11:26 AM, Fsu11 said:

On 5/20/2023 at 9:20 AM, fin-addict said:

JMO, I would not use a PVC valve, cost more but do it right with Brass. 

I agree with BRASS....but, wow, has it gone wild on pricing....and I"ve used PVC balls, but, you need to be very cautious....it's not recommended due to fact it can crack due to boat stress etc....so you need to keep an eye, the "plastic" ball valves are supposedly safe for below waterline and less expensive than brass.

dc

• Like 2