2003 18' Hewes Redfisher restoration

SonDay

I just purchased a 2003 18' Redfisher I'm going to restore for my use and my son's.  I have a few questions and I'd appreciate any input. 

* 2003 it has fighting lady yellow sides and what I "think" is oyster hull and deck - there are some chips that need fixing in the deck.  If anyone knows the hull and deck color (not sides) of a 2003 Redfisher please let me know.  Is it Oyster white?  It seems to have a little tan in it. Also I'm not sure I can get the yellow gelcoat to shine like I want so I may awl grip the same yellow. 

*  I intend to add a jack plate and leaning towards a Merc 115 xs engine.  Can it handle a 150hp or stick with 115?  I had a 18' Maverick Master Angler with a 150 years ago that performed well.  I know this hull is different.  What is the best engine combo?  

*  The 2 stroke oil tank and one battery is in the starboard right rear hatch.  I'm removing everything from this hatch and I'm debating on whether to put the batteries under the console or under the rear seat.  I'd like thoughts on which is better.  I plan on putting in lithium batteries and adding a 24v TM and a stereo.  I'll need room for 2 more batteries for the TM. 

*  I am removing the original poling platform and intend to have the fiberglass fixed, pipe work re-powdercoated and reinstalled.  This platform mounts on the transom and then very close to the edge of the deck.  Not a wide footprint and not that stable.  Keep this platform or does anyone have suggestions of others?

* Rub rail - needs replacing.  Please tell me the size and brand to order if anyone knows.  I had planned on replacing this myself but it seems it's secured with rivets not screws.  Can I replace with screws?  I'd appreciate some thoughts here. 

* Trim tabs don't work.  Not sure if actuators or something else - anyone know the OEM tabs that come on a 2003 18' Redfisher? 

My plan is to make this nicer than it need be.  I'll use it some to run about, get bait and fish the flats.  The deck is solid, it just needs some TLC.  I may do much of the restoration myself, or I may look for someone in St. Pete to do it for me - I'll be open to suggestions.  

Thanks in advance. 

1 hour ago, SonDay said:

* 2003 it has fighting lady yellow sides and what I "think" is oyster hull and deck - there are some chips that need fixing in the deck.  If anyone knows the hull and deck color (not sides) of a 2003 Redfisher please let me know.  Is it Oyster white?  It seems to have a little tan in it. Also I'm not sure I can get the yellow gelcoat to shine like I want so I may awl grip the same yellow. 

I OWNED A 2003 REDFISHER - it was my first MBG vessel.

Get the VIN NUMBER and send it to customer service at Maverick and they will have it or call the MINICoat in Ocala and give them the VIN, they will have the color in their data base.

1 hour ago, SonDay said:

I intend to add a jack plate and leaning towards a Merc 115 xs engine.  Can it handle a 150hp or stick with 115?  I had a 18' Maverick Master Angler with a 150 years ago that performed well.  I know this hull is different.  What is the best engine combo?

I would not add a JP....use the only for a good trolling motor and strong batteries...with a 4 blade Stern Lifter prop you and tilt and run shallow.

1 hour ago, SonDay said:

The 2 stroke oil tank and one battery is in the starboard right rear hatch.  I'm removing everything from this hatch and I'm debating on whether to put the batteries under the console or under the rear seat.  I'd like thoughts on which is better.  I plan on putting in lithium batteries and adding a 24v TM and a stereo.  I'll need room for 2 more batteries for the TM. 

Under console all day long....

1 hour ago, SonDay said:

Trim tabs don't work.  Not sure if actuators or something else - anyone know the OEM tabs that come on a 2003 18' Redfisher? 

cut the wires and check connections....the actuator # is on the outer pistons.

1 hour ago, SonDay said:

* Rub rail - needs replacing.  Please tell me the size and brand to order if anyone knows.  I had planned on replacing this myself but it seems it's secured with rivets not screws.  Can I replace with screws?  I'd appreciate some thoughts here. 

Again, check with Customer Servive

Hope this helps....PM me with your number and we can chat.

dc