Possible Solutions to older Pathfinder Bilge Pump Access

Mike45q

My 2003 Pathfinder is at the local Pathfinder dealer and even they are having trouble replacing the Bilge Pump.  Has anyone considered cutting a round hatch in the floor to install and access a new bilge pump. My old Grady White 24 had two round hatches front and aft for access to the bilge pumps. I know it may sound crazy but there is got to be a better way.  I think the current pump is under the center livewell. The gas tank is probably in the way of a new aft hatch in the floor.

Just Wondering

Mike

Disclaimer:  Not super familiar with the 2003, but 

Guys were replacing the splash well hatch. They were putting in a rectangular hatch as big as would fit. On my 2012 2200 TRS the splash well hatch is oval and just big enough for me to lay on my stomach and reach the bilge pump with one hand. 

On the 19 and 20 foot Pathfinders, there was no center bait well and guys would put an access hatch in the rear bulkhead.

I do not think a floor access would help on a 2200 because the bait well would block access.

• Like 1

the rectangular hatch  is the way to go. My mechanic replaced my pump in about 10 minutes using the oem pie plate in the splash well. I have service it using my cell phone and once with a bore light. Not fun but doable. In the past people used spider monkeys for the job when I first joined this Forum. Some might remember reading that. 😂😂. 👍😀 fin

• Like 1

I have had the Bilge pump replaced once but my mobile mechanic who did it retired. Now the pump still runs on the dash switch but not on the float switch. The Fort Myers dealership was sold, the owner retired and not sure if they kept the old mechanics. Anyway the “new” mechanics are having trouble changing it.
My neighbor just acquired a 2011 22 tournament with easy access to the bilge pump, you can actually see it. And a nice big hatch on the front of the console. I’m jealous.

• 3 weeks later...

The bilge pump on my 1900T is directly under my leaning post, which is where the V portion of the hull ends and the tunnel begins. There is a pie plate access there that allows you to change the pump. It's a 6 inch hole and is a little tight. I might open that hole into an 8 inch or put a small rectangle hatch there. My cooler will cover most of it when I have it stored under the leaning post.